'Glee,' 'Lost,' 'Modern Family,' and 'Breaking Bad' win big at Television Critics Association awards
Glee won three major awards from the Television Critics Association awards handed out on Saturday night. The best drama award was a tie between Lost and Breaking Bad, while the best comedy prize went to Modern Family.
More than 200 of the nation’s leading TV critics voted three awards for Glee: Program of the Year, Outstanding New Program, and, in the Individual Achievement In Comedy, the winner was Glee‘s Jane Lynch.
For the second year in a row, the “Youth Programming Award” went to Yo Gabba Gabba, and the show’s colorful characters, including Muno, Foofa, and Brobee, cavorted across the stage to accept the award.
Tom Hanks, in accepting his award as co-producer of The Pacific, gave a gracious speech but did not resist a good joke, saying with mock-irritation to the assembled TV critics, “After following Yo Gabba Gabba, that’s the last f—ing time I dress up for you!”
The 26th annual TCA event was held at the Beverly Hilton Hotel and hosted with laconic charm by Parenthood‘s Dax Shepard. Shepard noted that while he had never hosted an awards show before, “my body hosted the swine flu last year.” He also suggested that a TCA award should have been given to “that show about the out-of-work telephone salesman starring Luke Wilson — it’s on all the time.”
Modern Family creator Steve Levitan said, “Thank God we have a champion in our corner like Steve McPherson” — a joke about the ABC entertainment president who left the network this week. “Steve always said, ‘As long as I’m around, you have nothing to worry about.'”
Julianna Margulies won for Individual Achievement in Drama for her work in The Good Wife, while James Garner received a Career Achievement award.
The complete 2010 TCA Award list is after the jump.
• PROGRAM OF THE YEAR: “Glee” (FOX)
• OUTSTANDING NEW PROGRAM: “Glee” (FOX)
• INDIVIDUAL ACHIEVEMENT IN COMEDY: Jane Lynch, “Glee” (FOX)
• OUTSTANDING ACHIEVEMENT IN COMEDY: “Modern Family” (ABC)
• OUTSTANDING ACHIEVEMENT IN DRAMA: TIE – “Lost” (ABC) and “Breaking Bad” (AMC)
• INDIVIDUAL ACHIEVEMENT IN DRAMA: Julianna Margulies, “The Good Wife” (CBS)
• OUTSTANDING ACHIEVEMENT IN NEWS & INFORMATION: “Life” (Discovery)
• OUTSTANDING ACHIEVEMENT IN YOUTH PROGRAMMING: “Yo Gabba Gabba” (NICK JR.)
• OUTSTANDING ACHIEVEMENT IN MOVIES, MINISERIES & SPECIALS: “The Pacific” (HBO)
• HERITAGE AWARD: “M*A*S*H*” (CBS)
• CAREER ACHIEVEMENT: James Garner
What do you think of the TV critics’ picks? (Yes, I’m a member, and I voted.)