Betty White's plan for 'SNL': 'Very little nudity'
Betty White has arrived in New York to prepare for her weekend gig hosting Saturday Night Live. She stopped by Today this morning to chat with Meredith Vieira and admitted she was scared to death, perhaps because she’s drawn the line for the writers at nudity, or rather, “very little nudity.” As EW’s Tanner Stransky reports in his feature on the 88-year-old Golden Girl in this week’s issue of Entertainment Weekly, she’d been asked to host the show in the ’70s, ’80s, and ’90s, and had always politely declined. It was her agent who finally made her say “yes.”
Reasons to watch the clip:
• To marvel at how large the chairs Betty and Meredith are sitting in look
• To see footage of Betty with what I presume is her golden retriever, Pontiac (Tanner says she refers to him as “Mr. Perfect,” and he is)
• To imagine Betty cracking up at Tim Conway, who she says can “do her in”
• To hear her describe how her father, a traveling salesman, would bring jokes home from the road (If I ever have children, I hope they describe my sense of humor as “delicious”)
• To giggle when Betty tells Meredith that she makes her laugh — “not necessarily on this show”
• To get all riled up when Meredith abruptly says they’re out of time — no one cuts off Betty White!
More Betty White: