The latest news from Hollywood
Dominic Monaghan, Chris Harrison, and Benicio Del Toro were in the news this week
The dead are coming back to life for the final season of Lost. But what about Charlie?
Dominic Monaghan brought thousands of Lost fanatics to their feet last week when he made a cameo to close the show’s panel at Comic-Con. Does that mean Charlie — who heroically died in the season 3 finale two years ago and has since popped up as a (maybe) ghost — will be haunting Lost‘s final season? There’s reason to get your hopes up: Exec producers Carlton Cuse and Damon Lindelof told Comic-Con attendees that season 6 will resemble season 1 in its focus on character, adventure, and a sense of discovery. The show will also allow for dead or presumed-dead characters to make appearances. Among the definites: Daniel Faraday (Jeremy Davies), Claire (Emilie de Ravin), and Juliet (Elizabeth Mitchell, who’ll be starring on ABC’s V this fall). Also possible is Boone, the first major Lost character to die; while stumping for his new series The Vampire Diaries on The CW, actor Ian Somerhalder told attendees that he too will be making an encore performance. Monaghan’s presence at the Lost panel would seem to be proof enough that Charlie will be back, but the actor remained cagey when EW caught up with him. ”I think they closed the door well on my character, and I would only come back based on the door opening in a way that complements my character,” he says. ”Damon and I are friends, and we talk a lot about the romance of the character and the legacy he’s left behind. So while there’s the possibility of returning, there are a few hoops to jump through first.” Those would include getting clearance from Monaghan’s employer, the new ABC drama FlashForward. ”We own him now!” laughs exec producer David S. Goyer. Since Goyer is also friendly with the Lost producers, we’re betting something gets worked out.
— Jeff Jensen
The Bachelor‘s Harrison heads to the red carpet
Chris Harrison is the new Ryan Seacrest. The Bachelor emcee has signed a deal to host and produce red-carpet coverage for the TV Guide Network, where he already anchors and produces the weekly news show Hollywood 411; the deal is similar to the one American Idol‘s Seacrest struck with E! in 2006. Harrison will cohost the awards-show reporting with Dancing With the Stars judge Carrie Ann Inaba. She will handle most of the fashion duties. ”My goal is to see how long I can go without asking someone who they’re wearing,” Harrison jokes to EW. ”I want to be the place where stars come for a good interview. There are too many people who cover the red carpet and make it about themselves.” To wit, there will be no reminders of his other gig. ”I want no rose tie-ins. That’s in my contract.”
— Jennifer Armstrong
Wolfman release moved to 2010
Has The Wolfman turned into a horror film for Universal Pictures? The studio announced July 28 that it will again postpone the release of the remake starring Benicio Del Toro, this time from Nov. 6 to Feb. 12 next year. Producer Scott Stuber insists the date change is no sign of a troubled production, but rather a competitive decision to take advantage of a three-day holiday weekend. Time will tell. You can check out the Wolfman trailer when it bows with Inglourious Basterds in two weeks.
— Nicole Sperling