'Drop Dead Diva' stars debate the best TV shows for women
What are the best TV shows for women? That’s the question we posed to Brooke Elliott and Margaret Cho, stars of Lifetime’s addictive new summer hit Drop Dead Diva (Sundays, 9 p.m. ET), for the latest installment of the PopWatch Duel. They’ve made their lists. Now you decide whose is better by casting a vote in the poll. (Then they’ll try to tell themselves that they don’t care who wins. But come on, just look at those faces. They care!)
Feel free to justify your choice — and/or you love for DDD (we’re right there with you, guilt-free) — in the comments section. And, of course, submit your own Top 5.
Brooke Elliott’s picks:
1. The Oprah Winfrey Show: Whenever you ask about “best” and “women”, Oprah has to be on the list!
2. The Carol Burnett Show: C’mon … it’s Carol Burnett!!
3. The Mary Tyler Moore Show: One of the first shows where a woman was independent, single and strong. Not to mention, of course, Mary Tyler Moore’s incredible comedic timing.
4. Damages: Glenn Close. As this character, she’s smart, cunning, magnetic… I admire what a specific and brilliantly talented actress she is.
5. 30 Rock: This is a perfect vehicle to show Tina Fey’s comedic genius and brilliant writing. She is on top of her game!
Margaret Cho’s picks:
1. The Oprah Winfrey Show: She’s done more for women than anyone. She has even helped a lot of men.
2. The Carol Burnett Show: She made me believe that women could make me laugh so hard that I would start crying.
3. The Mary Tyler Moore Show: She was independent, she was fierce, and she was totally pretty.
4. Charlie’s Angels: They were just so damn cool.
5. Dynasty: It was all about the shoulder pads.
Photo Credit: Ed Thompson/Lifetime Television
Tina Fey, Alec Baldwin, and Tracy Morgan star in the Emmy-winning comedy. You want to go to there.