By Michael Slezak
July 15, 2009 at 11:02 PM EDT
  • TV Show

My personal forecast for tomorrow morning: 25 percent chance of going for an early-morning run; 75 percent chance of consuming a bowl of Wheat Chex; 100 percent chance of freaking out when the Emmy nominations are announced on live TV around 8:40 a.m.We’ve already discussed our wish-list for nominees in five areas — Best Comedy; Lead Actor/Actress in a Comedy; Supporting Actor/Actress in a Comedy; Lead Actor/Actress in a Drama; and Supporting Actor/Actress in a Drama (see links below!) — and now we’ve got one more category to dish: Best Drama Series. I’ve got two longshots I’ll be rooting for tomorrow:

Battlestar Galactica: Like Charlie Brown going trick-or-treating, every year I expect a nomination for BSG, and every year I get a rock. This year I want some damn candy for a groundbreaking sci-fi series that, even in its least successful moments, strived for greatness, and in its best ones actually achieved it.

Southland: NBC’s limited-run midseason replacement may not have scored huge ratings — and it’s getting unceremoniously dumped into a Friday-night slot next season — but its first-rate ensemble cast did such nuanced, beautiful work, and its unflinching look at the daily struggles of police work in Los Angeles was so much more affecting than any other cop show on TV, that (with apologies to my colleague Mandi Bierly) I can’t help but root for Southland getting a surprise nod over such Emmy stalwarts as, say, Boston Legal.

Which drama series will you be rooting for when Emmy nominations drop tomorrow? Do share your picks — and your reasons why — in the comments section below.And remember, if your faves don’t get any Emmy love, they could still qualify for an EWwy! (For more Emmy and EWwy chatter, follow me on Twitter @EWMichaelSlezak! Fun!)

More on Emmys:
Which series deserve Emmy nods for Best Comedy? (‘Two and a Half Men’? Nah.)
Who deserves an Emmy nod for Supporting Actor/Actress in a Drama? (Fresh faces encouraged!)
Who deserves an Emmy nod for Lead Actor/Actress in a Drama? (Not just the usual suspects!)
Who deserves an Emmy nod for Lead Actor/Actress in a Comedy? (Underdog picks encouraged!)
Who deserves an Emmy nod for Supporting Actor/Actress in a Comedy? (Other than Vanessa L. Williams, naturally)
Dream Emmy Ballot part 5: Best Comedy and Drama Series

addCredit(“Southland: Richard Foreman/NBC; Battlestar Galactica: Carole Segal/SyFy”)

  • TV Show
  • 09/06/06
  • In Season
Complete Coverage