Kris Allen: How can you not love the new American Idol?
I was chatting with my colleague Kate Ward yesterday about American Idol‘s season 8 champ Kris Allen, and she expressed concern that the underdog troubadour might get hit with a backlash from fans who feel he “stole” the title from his good friend and Idol runner-up Adam Lambert. But check out Kris’ appearance on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno (embedded below) and riddle me this: How could anyone dislike this low-key charmer from Arkansas? I mean, the guy is on his freakin’ victory tour, admits to only having had two hours of sleep, and yet within the first minute of his appearance, presses pause on the interview and insists that the audience “give it up for Adam” — who’s not even in the room! Combine Kris’ extraordinary class and charm with a heaping portion of talent — doubters, I must insist you immediately check out the studio rendition of “Falling Slowly” — and I’m betting he can overcome (or perhaps even stave off) any negative repercussions of his win. What do you think? Take our poll below, then sound off in the comments section!
- More on ‘American Idol’:
- ‘American Idol’ recap: Don’t Be Afraid of the Dark Horse
- Adam Lambert after the ‘American Idol’ finale: ‘I’m really happy for Kris’
- Kris Allen talks Queen, Adam Lambert, and, oh yeah, winning ‘American Idol’
- Cyndi Lauper, Jason Mraz and Queen Latifah talk about performing on the Idol finale
- EW.com’s American Idol HQ
- ‘How old is Rod Stewart?’
- ‘Idol’: Gay-baiting banter? Again?!
- ‘Idol’ Cheat Sheet: The season’s performances revisited!
- ‘Idol’: Season 8’s best and worst fashion