Robert Downey Jr.'s 'Sherlock Holmes': Can't it be December already?
Sometimes, it hurts to care: Like when you see the gallery of new Sherlock Holmes images USA Today has posted in May, and the movie doesn’t hit theaters until Christimas. If that previously released shirtless shot of Robert Downey Jr.’s detective didn’t make you want to see the film, this new peek at the Guy Ritchie-directed movie, which costars Jude Law as Dr. Watson and Rachel McAdams as Irene Adler, should do the trick. We learn that:
• Holmes has mad bartitsu skills. “It’s a kind of Japanese street fighting,” Ritchie explained. “It uses walking sticks, bowler hats, choke holds to put people to sleep — any practical means possible.”
• Holmes’ fashion sense has improved. Downey was passionate about picking his own Fedora (pictured, after the jump). Which is why we love him.
• There’s a “harrowing sequence inside a pig slaughterhouse.” The phrase horrifying but hyponotic comes to mind…
• Law’s Watson is smarter, funnier, and torn between his fiancée and his friend, who needs him to remember to bring the pistols and make sure that they are loaded. Victorian bromance!
• Holmes’ foe is a Lord and “an occult-dabbling Satanist.”
• McAdams’ Adler tricks Holmes into being handcufffed to a bed.