Pop culture hits and misses
We rate pop culture for the week of November 17, 2008 including the ''Star Trek'' trailer, Jim and Pam, and ''Gossip Girl''
· The whiz-bang new Star Trek trailer. You know things are promising when even the non-Trekkers are geeking out
· Jazz hands ready, America! Liza and Rosie to perform ”a fun song-and-dance number” on Rosie’s NBC variety special
· Jim and Pam are finally in the same city together. Now, for the love of Scranton, give these two a decent story line
· Who could have guessed that Gossip Girl was sorely missing a five-foot, two-inch, 65-year-old N.Y. theater veteran all this time?
· Note to recording artists: Please stop asking us to buy the expensive deluxe versions of your year-old album
· The imminent DVD release of Ace Ventura Jr.: Pet Detective
NOT EVEN CLOSE
· Guillermo del Toro to remake Pinocchio. Uh-oh. We’re not sure we’re ready to see Jiminy Cricket turn into a flesh-eating demon fairy.
· Barry Manilow covers ”Never Gonna Give You Up” on his latest album — and takes Rickrolling to a dangerous new level.