What should the Idols sing on 'country night'?
I’ve got to be honest with you, PopWatchers: Country music is not really my scene. So I’ve had to rack my brain to come up with suggestions for what the seven remaining American Idol finalists should sing when Martina McBride (pictured) shows up as vocal coach for this Tuesday’s episode. Worse still, since Kellie Pickler already covered my favorite country song of all time (“Fancy”) during season five, I feel I must strike it from consideration. So check out my choices below (clearly, I’m more of a country classics boy), and then see if you can make this request list a little more current. In the meantime, I humbly request that the ladies avoid the dreaded “Man! I Feel Like a Woman!” Oh, and one other thing, LaKisha, you will officially be dead to me if you pick Dolly Parton’s “I Will Always Love You” as an excuse to make this Whitney Houston night. That is all.
- Melinda Doolittle: Reba McEntire’s “You Lie” (Guaranteed show stopper — and I’m not referencing Danity Kane.)
- LaKisha Jones: Dolly Parton’s “Jolene” (Perhaps the only song that could return her to front-runner status)
- Jordin Sparks: Patsy Cline’s “I Fall to Pieces“
- Phil Stacey: k. d. lang’s “I’m Down to My Last Cigarette”
- Blake Lewis: Hank Williams’ “Move It On Over” (Begging for a little Blake-izing!)
- Chris Richardson: Shelby Lynne’s “Your Lies“
- Sanjaya Malakar: John Denver’s “Thank God I’m a Country Boy“
addCredit(“Martina McBride: Rick Diamond/WireImage.com”)