Think you know Hogwarts from Hagrid? Grab a bottle of butterbeer and sit down for a spell to test your knowledge of the Harry Potterverse
1. What’s the name for someone born into a wizarding family who has no magical powers?
2. What do Hermione Granger’s parents do for a living?
3. Place these Hogwarts Professors of Defense Against the Dark Arts in chronological order:
4. On what platform does Harry get the train to Hogwarts?
5. From what station does the train leave?
6. In Sorcerer’s Stone, what was the first password for Gryffindor house?
7. Which ghost is not tied to a specific Hogwarts house?
A The Bloody Baron
B Nearly Headless Nick
C Peeves the Poltergeist
D The Gray Lady
8. What does S.P.E.W. stand for?
9. Who is the reader on the U.S. audiobook versions of all the Potter books to date?
10. What’s the name of Voldemort’s serpent?
11. What is Voldemort’s real full name?
12. In Goblet of Fire, which of the following is not a solution to the underwater rescue challenge?
C Snorklepuss Charm
D Bubble-Head Charm
13. In Half-Blood Prince, the Amortentia potion smells like all but one of the following:
A Something flowery
B A Chocolate Frog
C The woody smell of a broomstick
D Treacle tart
14. Which of these is not an Unforgivable Curse?
D Avada Kedavra
BONUS: What is the penalty for using an Unforgivable Curse on another human?
15. Rank the first four Harry Potter movies by domestic box office gross, starting with the highest:
A Sorcerer’s Stone
B Chamber of Secrets
C Prisoner of Azkaban
D Goblet of Fire
16. Which of these has Hagrid not kept as a pet?
C Norwegian Ridgeback dragon
17. What number does Arthur Weasley dial at the London telephone box for access to the Ministry of Magic?
BONUS What does it spell out?
18. Which of these is not a candy in the Harry Potterverse?
A Pepper Imps
B Barking Beagle Bites
C Toothflossing Stringmints
D Fudge Flies
19. What’s the make of the car that Harry and Ron take to Hogwart’s in Chamber of Secrets?
20. Match the Harry Potter cast members to their number of Oscar nomiations:
21. How long was Sirius Black imprisoned at Azkaban?
22. How do you repel a boggart?
23. In Chamber of Secrets, what potion do Harry, Ron, and Hermione take while trying to get into Slytherin?
24. What’s the name of the girl Harry has a crush on in Goblet of Fire?
BONUS: In Order of the Phoenix, where do they share their first kiss?
25. As of Half-Blood Prince, which of the following characters has never received a Howler?
A Petunia Dursley
B Ron Weasley
C Neville Longbottom
D Draco Malfoy
26. Which of these ingredients is needed to make the Draught of Living Death?
27. What is the shape of the scar above Albus Dumbledore’s knee?
28. Put the Weasley kids in order from oldest to youngest:
29. Which of these is not a book by Gilderoy Lockhart?
A Holidays With Hags B Year With the Yeti C Gallivanting With Ghouls D Magical Me
30. What unique trait do the wands of Harry Potter and Voldemort have in common?
31. Which of these is not a type of owl that Eeylops Owl Emporium advertises on its sign?
BONUS: What’s the number of the vault that holds Nicolas Flamel’s Sorcerer’s Stone?
32. What creatures are the primary operators of Gringotts, the main bank in the wizarding world?
33. For what wizard newspaper does Rita Skeeter work?
BONUS: What other natural form can Rita Skeeter take?
34. What does the J.K. in J.K. Rowling stand for?
35. In what Edinburgh café did Rowling write much of the first Harry Potter book?
C The Griffin
D Scottish Grounds
36. Rowling has said she will likely end the last chapter of the final book, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, with what word?
37. With what character does Rowling share a birthday?
38. Mary GrandPré, the illustrator of the U.S. editions of the Harry Potter books, also worked on which of these films?
A Over the Hedge
D Monster House
39. Match these characters to their pets’ names, and then type of animal they are:
Neville, Hermione, Ron, Aunt Marge
Crookshanks, Ripper, Trevor, Scabbers
Dog, Rat, Cat, Toad
40. (Harry’s age when he enters Hogwarts) + (The Dursleys’ address: _____ Privet Drive) – (Number of players on a Quidditch team) =
41. (Address of Fred and George Weasley’s joke shop: ______ Diagon Alley) + (Hands on Dumbledore’s watch)/(Minimum number of N.E.W.T.’s needed to become an Auror) =
42. If, over the course of a school year, Hufflepuff scores a total of 17 goals and catches two Golden Snitches, Slytherin scores 27 goals and one Golden Snitch, Ravenclaw scores 33 goals and no Golden Snitch, and Gryffindor scores only one goal but three Golden Snitches, which house wins the Quidditch Cup?
43. Which of the following is not the name of a Quidditch position?
44. What other classic literary hero did Daniel Radcliffe play before tackling Harry Potter?
45. Which of these items would cost more: a brand-new wand from Diagon Alley’s Ollivanders wand shop or a brand-new, full-price hardcover copy of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows?
46. What is the proper name of the tap-dancing spell?
47. Arrange the following hardcover books in order of size, beginning with the one that is longest:
A J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
B Elizabeth Kostova, The Historian
C Susanna Clarke, Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell
D David Foster Wallace, Infinite Jest
48. On MTV’S Celebrity Deathmatch, who did J.K. Rowling face off against?
A Queen Elizabeth
B Daniel Radcliffe
C Stephen King
D J.R.R. Tolkien
BONUS Who won?
3. 1, Quirinus Quirrell; 2, Gilderoy Lockhart; 3, Remus Lupin; 4, Alastor Moody; 5, Dolores Umbridge; 6, Severus Snape
4. 9 3/4
5. King’s Cross
6. Caput Draconis
7. C, Peeves the Poltergeist
8. Society for the Promotion of Elfish Welfare
9. Jim Dale
11. Tom Marvolo Riddle
12. C, Snorklepuss Charm
13. B, A Chocolate Frog
14. C, Patronus BONUS Life sentence in Azkaban prison
15. A, Sorcerer’s Stone; D, Goblet of Fire; B, Chamber of Secrets; C, Prisoner of Azkaban
16. B, Basilisk
17. A, 62442 BONUS MAGIC
18. B, Barking Beagle Bites
19. Ford Anglia
20. Maggie Smith-6; Emma Thompson-5; Kenneth Branagh-4; Julie Christie-3; Richard Harris-2; John Cleese-1; Gary Oldman-0
21. 12 years
22. Laughter (after using the chuckle-inducing Riddikulus Charm)
24. Cho Chang BONUS Under the mistletoe in the Room of Requirement
25. D, Draco Malfoy
26. A, Asphodel
27. Map of the London subway
28. Bill, Charlie, Percy, Fred/George, Ron, Ginny
29. C, Gallivanting With Ghouls
30. Both have a feather from Dumbledore’s phoenix, Fawkes, in them.
31. D, Spotted
32. Goblins BONUS 713
33. Daily Prophet BONUS Beetle
34. Joanne Kathleen
35. B, Nicolson’s
37. Harry Potter
38. B, Antz
39. Hermione-Crookshanks, cat; Neville-Trevor, toad; Aunt Marge-Ripper, dog; Ron-Scabbers, rat
40. 11 + 4 – 7 = 8
41. 93 + 12 / 5 = 21
42. Hufflepuff (470 points)
43. A, Sweeper
44. David Copperfield
45. The wand
47. D, Infinite Jest; A, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix; C, Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell; B, The Historian
48. C, Stephen King BONUS King