Reviewing the Reviews: 'Mission: Impossible III'
Credit: MI:III: Jasin Boland
Good morning, film critics and headline writers. Your mission, should you choose to accept it: Come up with a headline for your Mission: Impossible III review that isn’t a tired variation on puns that have been beaten into the ground in headlines for reviews from Tom Cruise’s previous turns as spy Ethan Hunt.
Alas, few newspapers took up that mission this morning; lots of ”Mission: Accomplished” and ”Cruise Control” headlines. There were a few variations, by editors who remember Man of La Mancha, of ”Impossible Dream.” Still, original and clever headlines were hard to come by. Here are the few we came across:
- St. Paul Pioneer Press: A high V IV ‘III’
- Arizona Republic: ‘III’ jeers for mediocrity
- Minneapolis Star Tribune: ‘M:I’ WHEE!
- San Diego Union-Tribune: Blow up, blow hard
- Washington Post: Run, Tom, Run! Cruise Gets Off the Couch in Accomplished ‘Mission’
- Lexington (Ky.) Herald-Leader: Mission: Fun with explosions
- Columbus (Ohio) Dispatch: Hunt’s-ville
- New York Post: Tom Foolery
addCredit(“MI:III: Jasin Boland”)