Reviewing the Reviews: 'Failure to Launch'
The headlines for today’s reviews of Failure to Launch generally failed to impress. The title of the romantic comedy is just asking for trouble, as you’ll see below, yet few reviews did more than observe the obvious ironies. When even NBC’s Gene Shalit delivers a largely pun-free review, as he did this morning on Today, something is very wrong. Maybe Matthew McConaughey’s character, whose parents enlist Sarah Jessica Parker to entice him to move out of their house, simply cast a pall of slack on everyone who saw the film.
- Is this a film about rockets?
Chicago Tribune: Scrub this ‘Launch’
- Detroit Free Press: Comedy barely gets off ground
- Lafayette (Ind.) Journal and Courier: ‘Launch’ just fizzles
- Orlando Sentinel: ‘Launch’ fires up romantic-comedy rockets
- Deseret (Utah) Morning News: Failed jokes put ‘Launch’ in a wobbly trajectory
addCredit(“Failure to Launch: Frank Masi”)