We knew our new entertainment prediction game was prettytough — but we didn’t realize quite how challenging it was till we tallied thefinal results today. Not one of the 1626competitors answered every question correctly during the game’s first week fromOctober 17 to 20. That being said, there were some extremely impressiveefforts.
Three cheers for George Ponitza– who came THIS close to a perfect score. With amazing accuracy, he was within a margin of less than 300,000 whenhe predicted the box-office take for the first week of Doom (about $15.4 million) and the second week of Elizabethtown ($5.6 million). But then after gettingthe first seven questions right, he slipped on the much-easier final question and overestimatedhow well the Veronica Mars DVD would do on the DVD sales chart. (He predicted #4, but the correct answerwas: lower than 5.)
Our three other top scorers — Eddie Strait, Shane Parsons,and Sarah Button — picked the right answer for the DVD question. But they each fell short on one ofthe fill-in questions. Meanwhile, Christopher Dale, Malcolm Gaines, Noah Bashevkin, and Julia Fincherlost their way on BOTH of the fill-inquestions, though they too answered all of the multiple choice questions correctly. Hey, could it be that the fill-in questions are too dang difficult? Well, just to keep you motivated, we’ve changed the rules so you can predict to the nearest million, not to the nearest hundred thousand. So don’t say we never did anything for ya.
And that’s about it for the first week’s results. Remember that the Box Office Bull’s-eye runs every week fromMonday to Thursday — and the person who answers every question correctly forthe most consecutive weeks wins a prize. So get in there on Monday, and send us your predictions.
Want the complete list of correct answers for Oct. 17 – 20? Then follow the jump link.
Correct answers for the Box Office Bull’s-eye from Oct. 17 -20:
1. Which movie willbe NUMBER ONE at the box office this weekend?
Doom — CORRECT ANSWER
None of the above
2. Which movie willbe NUMBER TWO at the box office this weekend?
Dreamer — CORRECT ANSWER
None of the above
3. Which movie withbe NUMBER THREE at the box office this weekend?
None of the above — CORRECT ANSWER
4. How much will Doom earn during its first weekend?
5. How much will Elizabethtownearn during its second weekend?
6. On Sunday, Oct.23, Fox is broadcasting game two of the World Series. Which of these network series airing from 8-9 p.m. (EST) will have the highest ratingthat night?
Extreme Makeover: Home Edition (ABC)
Cold Case (CBS) — CORRECT ANSWER
The West Wing (NBC)
Charmed (the WB)
7. How many copies ofAshlee Simpson’s new I Am Me will be sold during its first week of release?
Less than 200,000
201,000 – 350,000 — CORRECT ANSWER
351,000 – 500,000
501,000 – 650,000
651,000 – 800,000
More than 800,000
8. How will Veronica Mars: Season One, starring KristenBell, rank on next week’s DVD sales chart?
Lower than 5 — CORRECT ANSWER