Why ''Laguna Beach'' is better than ''The O.C.'' -- Tim Stack gives five reasons why MTV's guilty pleasure has eclipsed the Fox hit
Why ”Laguna Beach” is better than ”The O.C.”
With MTV’s hit Laguna Beach closing out season 2 on Nov. 14 (at 10 p.m.) as the quality of Fox’s The O.C. (Thursdays at 8 p.m.) wanes in season 3, EW details why MTV’s reality series is eclipsing its scripted big brother. And we’re not just talking ’bout Laguna‘s guilty-but-more-pleasurable theme song by Hilary Duff.
1. Laguna knows how to incorporate new ”characters,” like hottie Casey. Over on The O.C., we get creepy Jeri Ryan — honey, we’re ready to beam you back up to the starship Voyager.
2. Laguna Beach: a paradise in which shopping, surfing, and secrets hold endless appeal. The O.C.: a purgatory in which Tate Donovan’s Jimmy comes back, then leaves, then comes back… while Ryan (Benjamin McKenzie) and Marissa (Mischa Barton) date, then break up, then date…
3. We thought the O.C. kids had cool names — until we met Laguna‘s Talan, Lo, and Dieter.
4. The Beach kids look like they’re in high school because they’re in high school! At 27, Benjamin McKenzie is not quite Gabrielle Carteris, but he ain’t foolin’ anyone, either.
5. Hello, Laguna Beach is real!