Fall TV's fashion grades
Fall TV’s fashion grades
Bizarre chapeaus. Nerdy bow ties. Leggings. The new fall TV season may have just begun, but we’ve already seen a walk-in closetful of fashion do’s and oh-no-you-didn’ts.
* We love Neil Patrick Harris, no matter what he wears. But we adore him even more for his fabulously natty suits (by the likes of Hugo Boss and Dolce & Gabbana) on the freshman CBS sitcom How I Met Your Mother.
* Dear Desperate Housewives: The black squiggly thing Edie (Nicollette Sheridan) tried to pass off as a hat at Rex’s funeral had us mourning. She’s much more attractive squiggle-free in simple J&Company jeans and Stuart Weitzman heels. And speaking of wacky headgear, we wouldn’t wear Jeff Probst’s safari topper on Survivor even if we were stranded on a desert island.
* Funny how the quality of fashion on The O.C. seems to be inversely proportional to the believability of its plotlines. No matter: Summer (Rachel Bilson) has never looked better than she does in her recent reworked ’80s dresses (from vintage stores), and Marissa (Mischa Barton) wisely has been opting for Victorian-inspired tops by Burning Torch and tunics paired with — we kid you not — leggings. Meanwhile, Seth (Adam Brody) doesn’t seem to be tiring of his Penguin shirts (yawn), but at least he’s jazzing up the preppy tops with funky Earnest Sewn jeans.
* Yes, Curb Your Enthusiasm‘s Larry David looks like an older, balder — and left-wing — version of Tucker Carlson in his dorky bow tie. Let’s just hope he doesn’t get into a wrestling match with Ted Danson over it.
* It’s amazing how much better printed tees look on a moderately sharp-dressed man, as opposed to on an achingly precious hipster (sorry, Seth!). Case in point: Gregory (Hugh Laurie) and his collection of Barking Irons and Buckler tees on House.
* And finally: Far be it from us to promote prison wear, but the gray thermal tops worn by Michael (Went- worth Miller) on Prison Break are hot — and much more flattering than orange jumpsuits.