The movie stars who saved our summer
This could have been a pretty disastrous moviegoing summer, but if you saw any of the following 10 performers in the multiplex this summer, they made your time worth what you spent on tickets and popcorn. None of them is a name you would have expected to steal moviegoing thunder from the likes of Tom Cruise, Will Ferrell, or Russell Crowe, but that’s what they did. Here are the 10 MVPs of the recent movie season, as rounded up in the forthcoming issue of EW.
In no particular order, they are:
- –Terrence Howard, for his starmaking role as pimp-turned-rapper DJay in Hustle & Flow, as well as his supporting roles in Four Brothers and Crash
- –Matt Dillon, who pulled off the trickiest role in Crash and a comic villain part in Herbie: Fully Loaded
- –Cillian Murphy, extra-creepy in Batman Begins and Red Eye
- –Angelina Jolie, who rescued herself from box office poison status in Mr. & Mrs. Smith
- –Vince Vaughn (above), who took his aggressive motormouth act to new comic heights in Smith and Wedding Crashers
- –Dakota Fanning, who stole War of the Worlds from Cruise and Steven Spielberg
- -indie queen Amy Adams (Junebug)
- –Miranda July (Me and You and Everyone We Know)
- –Star Wars: Episode III emperor Ian McDiarmid
- -MVP Hall of Famer Paul Giamatti (Cinderella Man)
Are there any summer movie MVPs you think we left off the list?