Weekend To-Do List
Happy Fourth of July, folks! If you’re anything like me, you’ll spend half the holiday weekend stuffing your gullet with Chicken in a Biskit crackers, platefuls of grilled delights, and high-calorie frozen treats. Which will leave plenty of hours for sprawling out on the couch and trying not to descend into the shame spiral.
A few good ways to while away those hours:
1) Raise a glass of, um, whatever hearty ale they drink up in Canada, as VH1’s talking heads celebrate our neighbors to the north (that’s you, Shatner and Shania!) on So Awesomely Canadian, July 1, at 10 p.m.
2) Been keeping up with PopWatch’s Live 8 coverage? Now watch the concerts on AOL, ABC, VH1, and MTV. Make sure to give thanks that, no matter your troubles, you’ve got 273 cable stations and high-speed Internet access, while many fellow inhabitants of the planet don’t have basic health care or dinner. And don’t skip ABC News Now‘s live coverage ”Africa Calling,” from Cornwall, England, with scads of first-rate African musical acts, July 2, 8 a.m.-6 p.m., EDT. (Remember to visit EW.com’s Live 8 message board to share your thoughts on the shows.)
3) Ooh! Pretty ponies! (July 2, 4-6 p.m., ESPN)
4) Can’t cope with War of the Worlds opening-weekend crowds (or its star’s incoherent babbling)? Check your local theaters for well-reviewed smaller-budget flicks such as Me and You and Everyone We Know, The Beat That My Heart Skipped, My Summer of Love, Howl’s Moving Castle, or Kings and Queen.
5) Too tired to go see pretty colors in the sky? NBC brings you Macy’s 4th of July Spectacular. (July 4, 9 p.m. EDT)
What entertainment-related July Fourth holiday plans do you recommend? Share your ideas.