Prosecutors drop warrant against Ben Affleck
Prosecutors drop warrant against Ben Affleck. D.A. says the woman who claims the actor threatened her can't be found and dismisses the charge for lack of evidence
Ben Affleck and Jennifer Lopez may be besieged by paparazzi at their compound in Savannah, but at least they don’t have to worry about a knock on the door from out-of-state police officers. On Tuesday, Prosecutors in North Carolina’s New Hanover County threw out a warrant for Affleck’s arrest issued in response to a local woman’s claim that the actor had threatened her life on Sept. 25, the Associated Press reports. Not only could officials not find any evidence to support the allegations made by Tara Ray (who also claimed she had been romantically involved with the actor since February 2002), but police couldn’t even find her after repeated attempts to contact her after the warrant’s issue on Satuday.
Kure Beach resident Ray claimed in the warrant that Affleck had called her and said he was coming to ”blow your [expletive] head off.” Though Magistrate Ralph Ellen II signed the warrant and stated that there was probable cause to believe the incident occurred, District Attorney John Carriker said there was no evidence that Affleck had ever met Ray or had ever been to Kure Beach. ”This is a very good example of why people shouldn’t be able to take out a warrant without any kind of police investigation,” Carriker told AP, though he added that his office did not plan to seek charges against Ray.
Talking to EW.com on Tuesday, Affleck spokesman Ken Sunshine reiterated the actor’s assertion that he had never met Ray or been to her town. Besides, Sunshine said, the ”50 paparazzi” camped out at his Georgia home for the last few weeks (since he and J. Lo retreated there after cancelling their wedding) can account for his every move.