Stone Cold surrenders on wife-beating charge
Two months after he allegedly hit his wife and went on the lam, wrestler Stone Cold Steve Austin turned himself in to San Antonio police Tuesday, according to published reports. He surrendered after a judge issued a warrant for his arrest for a misdemeanor charge of assault with bodily injury, the first time charges had been filed since the alleged battery. He posted $5,000 bond and was released. ”Nothing happened,” he told the San Antonio Express-News outside the courthouse, declining further comment.
According to the Associated Press, Debra Williams, herself a WWE personality, called San Antonio police in the wee hours of June 15. Police reports say the responding officer found her crying and saw ”a large noticeable welt” beneath her right eye. Her husband had already left the house, and although officers reached him by phone, he was not arrested. The 36-year-old Austin (real name: Steve Williams), and Debra, 42, had married last year in Las Vegas; it was Austin’s third trip down the aisle.
The alleged assault capped a week of unexplained, career-sabotaging behavior for the popular wrestler. Five days earlier, he had gone AWOL from the ring hours before a WWE live telecast in Atlanta and flown home to Texas. He had told the WWE he was ”unhappy with his character’s creative direction,” but it was his second no-show since March, and as a result, the WWE dropped him from its active roster. WWE chief Vince McMahon insisted at the time that Austin’s firing was not a scripted stunt, and that he did not expect to rehire him.