Geena Davis's engagement and Ol' Dirty Bastard's arrest made news the week of December 8, 2000
He’s in the market for ”Plush” toys. On Nov. 19, Stone Temple Pilot Scott Weiland, 33, and his wife, Mary, 25, welcomed their first child, 7-pound 10-ounce son Noah Mercer.
Oscar winner and onetime Olympic archery hopeful Geena Davis, 44, accepted a marriage proposal Nov. 25 from Southern California surgeon Reza Jarrahy, 29. The couple, who met through friends in 1998, haven’t set a date. It will be the first marriage for Jarrahy and the fourth for Davis, whose exes include restaurateur Richard Emmolo, actor Jeff Goldblum, and director Renny Harlin.
Country pillar George Jones, 69, will be singing the blues this Christmas. On Nov. 19, the Nashville vet discovered that decorative holiday figures of Santa, a cow, and carolers had been stolen from the front lawn of his Franklin, Tenn., home.
This is a rap he might not beat. Wu-Tang Clan member Ol’ Dirty Bastard (né Russell Jones), 31, was nabbed at a McDonald’s drive-through in south Philadelphia on Nov. 27 by a local police officer who recognized the Wu-Tanger. The rapper was wanted on outstanding warrants in New York City (for charges ranging from criminal possession of a controlled substance to motor vehicle violations) as well as in L.A. (for failing to appear at a court-ordered hearing about his rehab program, which he had fled). Though on the lam, ODB performed three songs with the Clan at Manhattan’s Hammerstein Ballroom on Nov. 21 and slipped away undetected — despite police presence outside the venue. His lawyer, Robert Shapiro, did not return calls for comment on the criminal charges.
Talk-show Venusian Cybill Shepherd, 50, fled her Memphis home Nov. 25 after a log fire she built in the master-bedroom fireplace flared out of control. The Men Are From Mars, Women Are From Venus hostess called 911 and left with her daughter Ariel, 13. Local firefighters quickly extinguished the blaze, whose damage was contained to the bedroom.
Well… maybe. Queen of Nice Rosie O’Donnell, 38, was being more than a little naughty, indicating on the Nov. 17 Today show that she’d end her daytime gig when her contract expires in spring 2002. ”It may not have been said in the most serious of tones,” says a spokeswoman for O’Donnell’s show; her publicist adds that Rosie will not make a final decision until January…. It’s official: Chris Rock, 35, has left the damn building. HBO confirms that the Nov. 24 episode of the comic’s Emmy-winning talker, The Chris Rock Show, was his last. Great. Now where is Al Sharpton going to get another gig on TV?
The face of Estée Lauder may soon display other assets. Elizabeth Hurley, 35, is reportedly in talks to sign a $4.2 million deal with Scottish lingerie company MJM International to promote a gel-filled bra. The company declined to comment. Hurley’s publicist would only confirm the model is nearing the end of her sixth year with Estée Lauder: ”If — and I stress if — she doesn’t continue working with Estée Lauder, she will probably consider some other offers.”
On Nov. 22, the parents of angel-voiced Charlotte Church, 14, settled a breach-of-contract suit filed by the Welsh soprano’s former manager, Jonathan Shalit, 38, who had been fired in January. Lawyers for Shalit declined to comment on the out-of-court settlement, reportedly worth $3.3 million. Church’s spokesman did not return calls for comment…. Bat-biting rocker Ozzy Osbourne, 52, and other bands featured in last summer’s Ozzfest 2000 tour filed a $20 million suit Nov. 17 against Internet music broadcaster MCY.com, satellite firm DirecTV, and pay-per-view provider iN DEMAND. The suit claims copyright and trademark infringement, stemming from a Nov. 10 pay-per-view telecast of a concert that the rockers insist was taped for Internet broadcast only. In a written statement, MCY.com said it was contractually within its rights, and called the claims meritless. DirecTV declined to comment; an iN DEMAND spokesman said, ”Our deal was with MCY.com. We intend to live by the terms of that agreement.”… On Nov. 18, Judge Judy executive producer Peter Brennan filed suit in L.A., alleging that Paramount Television and others intentionally failed to inform him that star Judy Sheindlin is paid more than he. Brennan argues that his contract has a ”favored nations” clause stipulating that if anyone connected with Judge Judy is offered better terms, he automatically qualifies for the same deal. Court papers do not disclose either Brennan or Sheindlin’s earnings, but the prickly judge’s paycheck is estimated to be at least $150,000 per week. Paramount TV declined to comment.