Right now, Smash Mouth are riding high with a hit single, ”All Star,” and a top 20 album, Astro Lounge. But maybe the best thing about them is how they seem to be regular joes who lucked into stardom. We figured frontman Steve Harwell wouldn’t get his panties in a twist over a few obnoxious queries. We figured right.
1. On ‘All Star,’ you sing, ‘I ain’t the sharpest tool in the shed.’ Do you have low self-esteem? No, it’s healthy. I’m not perfect. I make a lot of stupid mistakes.
2. Are you hurt you weren’t asked to guest on Santana’s comeback album? Not at all. I’m not a big Carlos fan. I don’t hate him, but I’m not a fan.
3. What city has the best barbecue? I don’t eat the junk anymore. It’s too messy.
4. If you ran for office, what would your platform be? I’d be against guns, for abortion. I’d legalize pot, ’cause everybody’s smokin’ it anyways. I’d invent a machine — if you were too loaded, your car wouldn’t start. It would smell your breath.
5. You once sang, ‘I’d like to buy the world a toke.’ Wouldn’t that be costly? Haven’t you heard the first one’s free?
6. Everyone can remember the best sex they ever had, but what was the best high? I can tell you the worst. I smoked a joint once and had the worst panic attack. I don’t smoke weed no more, man.
7. Can you describe your fashion sense? If it’s in the hamper, it’s in style.
8. How would you complete the sentence ‘I get my kicks …’ ”…dating lots of chicks.” Hey, that rhymes!
9. How do you feel about female breast augmentation? God love it. But I’d get rid of the saline. The soybean-style are a lot better.
10. If I wore a Smash Mouth T-shirt to a strip club, would it impress a stripper? Um, no. But tell her I said it’s okay to have sex with you.