Music, lunch, and daycare all are critical parts of this mogul's schedule
How do 24 hours in the life of a power player unfold? Here’s what the day planner for hip-hop impresario Sean ”Puffy” Combs (No. 41) looked like on Monday, Sept. 14, 1998.
9 am Workout with Ari (Pilates with Emory to follow) (Studio)
11 am BBE meeting with Benny Medina and Jeff Burroughs (BMG
12 pm Lunch with Clive Davis (Justin’s)
1:30 pm Meeting with Ken Ross and Benny re: book and publishing (BMG)
2:30 pm Pick up Justin from preschool (Out of office)
4 pm Meet with Total, stylist, DP, director re: video and photo concepts (BMG)
5:30 pm Faith Evans video meeting, Hype Williams, Ane Roseborough: concepts and style (BMG)
7 pm Dinner w/Vernon Brown, John Vasquez, Tom Pharr re: Justin’s Atlanta, timelines, food tasting (Justin’s)
9:30 pm Sean John clothing meeting w/Jeffrey Tweedy and possible new designers (Showroom)
10:30-11 pm Meeting with Lil’ Kim to discuss possible movie script, press plan (Home)
11 pm-12 am Puff Daddy celebrity party (Lot 61)
1 am Studio with 112, finish Little Jerome album (Daddy’s House)
1. In July, Puffy began working out at Revolution Studio gym in Union Square for his role as a quarterback in Oliver Stone’s NFL movie. Though he’s no longer doing the film (sked conflicts), he’s still tight with the trainers. He spends an hour with Ari Weller for strength and conditioning and another hour with Emory Moore for Pilates.
2. A daily meeting held at BMG, corporate parent of Arista Records, which handles distribution for the Puffy-owned Bad Boy Records (BBR), and provides him with office space. Attendees include Jeff Burroughs, exec VP of BBR, and Benny Medina, president of Bad Boy Entertainment (BBE), Puffy’s record, film, artist management, and merchandising company.
3. A talk with Arista Records chief Davis about upcoming album releases and timelines. Puffy owns Justin’s and eats here almost daily; the restaurant keeps him on a low-fat diet. Instead of faves (macaroni and cheese, turkey wings and gravy, cobbler), the kitchen makes Puffy — and only Puffy — a turkey-and-collard-green wrap.
4. Powwow at BMG with Medina and Ross, a friend of Puffy’s. Through Ross’ connections, Puffy met writer Mikal Gilmore, who is ghostwriting Puffy’s autobio. Suggested EW titles: Puffyography: Puff, the Magic Mixer; HR Puff’s Stuff; The Combs Jones.
5. Puffy’s 4-year-old son, Justin (who lives with mother Misa Brim in NYC), likes Hot Wheels cars, especially the trucks, and is a bigger fan of Toy Story than of Daddy’s music — at least for now. He starts kindergarten next year.
6. Brainstorming for Total’s video ”Trippin’.” Under discussion: clothes, concepts, and overall look. (DP refers to the video’s director of photography.)