A ''Star Trek'' spin-off -- Several ''Next Generation'' characters will make their cameos in the new ''Deep Space Nine'' series
Captain Picard’s (Patrick Stewart) brief appearance on the Deep Space Nine premiere won’t be the only cross-Trekking cameo this season. Several Next Generation characters will be beaming over to the new spin-off, for both short stays and extended visits. The confirmed guest list so far:
· Q (John de Lancie), the annoying alien entity who has been harassing the Enterprise since Next Generation‘s 1987 debut, will make an appearance on a Deep Space episode scheduled to air early next month.
· Miles O’Brien (Colm Meaney) served as the Enterprise‘s transporter chief; on Deep Space he’ll be promoted to chief operations officer. O’Brien’s wife (Rosalind Chao) and space-born baby will also move to the new series.
· Lwaxana Troi (Majel Barrett), Counselor Troi’s sex-maniac mom, who usually has the hots for Captain Picard, will fall in lust with Deep Space‘s flat-faced security officer Odo (Rene Auberjonois).
· Armin Shimmerman, who played the first jumbo-eared Ferengi ever shown on Next Generation, will star as Quark, Deep Space‘s slightly slimy Ferengi saloon keeper.
· In an inverse cameo, an episode of Next Generation will show Michael Dorn’s Worf visiting Deep Space while searching for his presumed-dead Klingon dad.
As for the possibility of Deep Space cameos by members of the first Trek cast — don’t bet any dilithium crystals on it. So far, there are no plans to bring Kirk, Spock, Bones, or any other Enterprise originals aboard.