Have you heard? Television is the new movies, movies are the new talkies, and the rules of casting no longer apply. Our biggest stars are headed to the once-maligned small screen to bask in the glow (and inevitable Emmys) of premium TV content. The latest: Meryl Streep will now be putting the prestige in “prestige TV” by joining the second season of HBO’s Big Little Lies (as Perry’s mom!), thereby making Monterey the official fictional home of all the internet’s favorite A-list actresses.
While Streep had already been attached to a TV show — an adaptation of The Nix with J.J. Abrams — the BLL announcement is a next-level development that confirms that the seating hierarchy at the Golden Globes is about to get a lot trickier from here on out.
And now that Streep has broken down the content wall, it seems that anything is truly possible when it comes to mega movie stars lending their talents (and shooting schedules) to television. Here are just a handful of celebrities for whom a plum TV role is waiting, should they choose to accept it.
- Cate Blanchett as Eleanor’s mom on The Good Place
- Vanessa Redgrave as an Aunt on The Handmaid’s Tale
- Robert DeNiro as a comedy club owner on The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
- Tom Hanks as a bumbling policy wonk on Veep
- Denzel Washington as a celebrated professor on Dear White People
- Anjelica Houston as a high school principal on American Vandal
- Saoirse Ronan as someone’s suspicious older sister on Stranger Things
- Daniel Day-Lewis as an engineer who falls in love with his hosts on Westworld
- Halle Berry as a concerned parent who goes to the media on 13 Reasons Why
- Audrey Tautou as a host in a 1920s-Paris-themed Westworld
- Alfre Woodard as Titus’s mom on The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
- Anne Hathaway as a friendly trust-funder on Broad City
- Ben Kingsley as a government high-up who befriends Eleven on Stranger Things
- Rebecca Ferguson as Princess Diana in Feud: Charles and Diana
- Carey Mulligan as a British import from Scotland Yard on Brooklyn Nine-Nine
- Andrew Garfield as a slimy porn star-turned-wrestling announcer on GLOW
- Edward Norton as a Hot Riverdale Dad
- Amy Adams as Nancy Reagan on The Crown
- Whoopi Goldberg as a pre-med advisor on Grown-ish
- Julianne Moore as a Gloria Allred-type lawyer on Orange is the New Black
- Also, Julianne Moore as The Young Pope