Frank W. Ockenfels 3/E! Entertainment
Breanne L. Heldman
November 16, 2017 AT 04:13 PM EST

The Queen has spoken. Elizabeth Hurley, who stars as Queen Helena on The Royals, has released a statement regarding the recent sexual misconduct allegations made against the show’s creator, Mark Schwahn.

The note begins with Hurley admitting how badly she felt upon reading the statement her TV daughter, Alexandra Park, released earlier this week regarding her experiences with Schwahn. While Hurley says she never experienced such behavior, she says she feels she “failed” Park and feels “sick” to learn that so many of the cast and crew members on the show were feeling “scared, intimidated, psychologically manipulated,” and beyond.

Read Hurley’s full statement below:

“I was immensely saddened to read Alexandra Park’s statement about Mark Schwahn. I have loved working alongside Alexandra and Mark for four years while shooting The Royals, and had absolutely no idea that she was feeling frightened and sexually intimidated by Mark during this time. I have never thought of myself as unobservant, in fact quite the opposite, but I missed this and feel like I have let down a younger cast member. I could have helped her. I would have helped her. But I didn’t know.

I have never personally felt scared, intimidated, psychologically manipulated or been the recipient of inappropriate behavior in 30 years of making movies and television. This includes my years working closely with Mark Schwahn. yes, he flirts and tells risqué jokes — but so do I. To hear that there was more than this is a shocking surprise. I never witnessed it. The set of The Royals was a very happy one, full of laughter and fun. Mark was always in the centre of this and it seemed to me that the cast and crew had the most fun when Mark was directing an episode. I feel sick now to hear that people were unhappy at that time and didn’t dare speak up.

It’s totally unacceptable for anyone to work in a place in which they feel unsafe. Measures must be put in place in every industry so that anyone who is experiencing intimidation can seek help. As for me, I didn’t see it but will support anyone who is being treated unfairly and do anything I can to ensure any workplace is a safe one. I may have failed Alexandra but it won’t happen again on my watch.”

Hurley’s message comes shortly after a group of 25 female cast and crew members on the series released a joint letter, inspired by the one written by the ladies of One Tree Hill, to Variety, in which they claim Schwahn “felt the inclination to abuse his power and influence in an environment where he had it over women who felt they did not. This manifested itself in the repeated unwanted sexual harassment of multiple female members of cast and crew.”

A representative for Schwahn did not immediately respond to EW’s request for comment about the allegations.

E! released the following statement regarding Schwahn: “E!, Universal Cable Productions and Lionsgate Television take sexual harassment allegations very seriously, investigate them thoroughly and independently, and take appropriate action. Lionsgate has suspended Mark Schwahn from The Royals as we continue our investigation.”

The Royals wrapped production on its fourth season in September and is expected to air as planned in the new year.

See Hurley’s entire message here:

You May Like

Comments

EDIT POST