HBO and FX respond to Louis C.K.'s allegations of sexual misconduct

Posted on

The networks with ties to Louis C.K. are weighing in on the claims of sexual misconduct against the elite comedian in a New York Times story. In the article, published on Thursday, five women accuse the 50-year-old comedian of masturbating or requesting to masturbating in front of them.

HBO announced in a statement on Thursday that the comedian would no longer be part of its Night of Too Many Stars autism benefit that airs live next Saturday night. In addition, the network will remove his past projects from its on-demand services. Louis C.K. has starred in several HBO stand-up specials as well as his own short-lived series Lucky Louie.

FX, meanwhile, has been more closely aligned with the comedian in recent years, having signed him to an overall in 2013. His acclaimed comedy-drama Louie — which stars the comedian as a fictionalized version of himself — has run for five seasons, earning C.K. two writing Emmys and three Outstanding Comedy Series nominations. He is also currently an executive producer on Zach Galifianakis’ Baskets and Pamela Adlon’s Better Things. In a statement on Thursday, FX said it will launch an investigation, while noting that no allegations of misconduct by the comedian had been reported to the network. “We are obviously very troubled by the allegations about Louis C.K. published in The New York Times today,” said FX in the statement. “The network has received no allegations of misconduct by Louis C.K. related to any of our 5 shows produced together over the past 8 years.  FX Networks and FXP take all necessary actions to protect our employees and thoroughly investigate any allegations of misconduct within our workplace. That said, the matter is currently under review.”

The future of Louie had already been up in the air for a while, as C.K. hadn’t expressed immediate interest in making another season. “I think it’s possible there will never be another season of Louie, and I think it’s also possible there will be four or five more seasons of Louie over the next 30 years,” FX CEP John Landgraf told reporters in August.

The comedian canceled a Thursday appearance on The Late Show With Stephen Colbert. The Thursday night premiere of C.K.’s new movie, I Love You, Daddy, was canceled by the film’s production company, The Orchard. “In light of the allegations concerning Louis C.K. referenced in today’s New York Times, we are canceling tonight’s premiere of I Love You, Daddy,” The Orchard said in a statement to EW. “There is never a place for the behavior detailed in these allegations. As a result, we are giving careful consideration to the timing and release of the film and continuing to review the situation.”

Netflix, which signed C.K. to stand-up specials earlier this year — the first of which, 2017, was released in April, has yet to respond to the news.

Louis C.K.’s publicist told the New York Times that C.K. would not be responding to the accusations in their story, but later in the day, he told EW that C.K. will issue a written statement “in the coming days.”

Outbrain