UPDATE: Hannibal executive producers Martha De Laurentiis and Bryan Fuller continued to tease their Fannibals on Sunday, tweeting a photo of the pair of them and a Mads Mikkelsen as Hannibal Lecter action figure along with the caption, “Meeting of the minds.”
Fannibals, rejoice! Bryan Fuller says his fellow Hannibal executive producer Martha De Laurentiis has “started conversations” about reviving the much-loved show, which has been off the air since NBC screened the season 3 finale in August 2015. But Fuller also warned that it could still be a while before fans see the show return.
“Conversations couldn’t start until 2 years after the final airing of season 3,” Fuller wrote on Twitter earlier this week, in response to a request for news about Hannibal. “@neoprod has started those conversations. This takes time.”
In June 2016, Fuller told Collider that the show’s producers could start exploring options for a revival two years after the show’s last airing. “August 2017 is when we can actually start talking about it,” he explained. “That’s when we would have to see what the rights are for the character and for the story, and see who’s interested and how we get it done.”
Earlier this year, Fuller told director Mick Garris that he had a “great idea” for a fourth season of the show, which starred Mads Mikkelsen and Hugh Dancy, in the course of an appearance on Garris’ podcast, Post Mortem.
“I have conversations with (Hannibal executive producer) Martha De Laurentiis,” said Fuller, who has recently been busy overseeing Starz’s American Gods. “I have conversations with Mads and Hugh. We’re are all excited about the prospect of returning to the story. There’s some hurdles to get through… [But] I just had a great idea for season 4. There’s an interesting next chapter in the relationship between Will Graham and Hannibal Lecter that would be fascinating to unpack. I’ve shared it with the gentlemen and they’re both keen on it.”
(Originally published on Aug. 10, 2017)