Lynette Rice
June 16, 2017 AT 04:03 PM EDT

Fans of Bachelor of Paradise may not have to wait much longer to find out whether we’ll ever see a fourth season of the summer franchise: EW has learned that an ongoing probe into what happened on the show’s Mexico set should be resolved soon.

Warner Bros. shut down production on the dating show last week and vowed to take “appropriate responsive action” after learning of an alleged incident between contestants DeMario Jackson and Corrine Olympios that occurred while cameras were rolling during the first week of production.

No law enforcement has been involved, though both participants have retained legal representation.

Though several sources have speculated to various media outlets that the show has been canceled, ABC officials have made no official determination about the future of Bachelor in Paradise. The show is set to return to prime time on Aug. 8.

The larger question for ABC is whether it should risk hurting the mother ship — The Bachelor and The Bachelorette — by continuing with BIP. “This isn’t about business. It’s a question of marketing,” suggests one high-profile observer from a competing network. “It’s about protecting the brand.”

During an interview with Inside Edition on Thursday, Jackson, 30, said, “My character has been assassinated, my family name has been drug through the mudand that “the only thing I want is for the truth to come out. I feel like the truth will be able to come out in those videos.”

Olympios, 25, released this statement about the alleged encounter she says took place on June 4: “As a woman, this is my worst nightmare and it has now become my reality. As I pursue the details and facts surrounding that night and the immediate days after, I have retained a group of professionals to ensure that what happened on June 4 comes to light and I can continue my life, including hiring an attorney to obtain justice and seeking therapy to begin dealing with the physical and emotional trauma stemming from that evening.”

The summer edition of the Bachelor franchise has a long history with ABC. Before Bachelor in Paradise, there was Bachelor Pad, which launched in August of 2010 from a tropical locale and featured contestants from The Bachelor and The Bachelorette competing in an elimination-style format. Hosted by Chris Harrison, the show never made it to a fourth season amid rumors that it wasn’t a favorite of then-Disney-ABC TV Group President Anne Sweeney, who left in early 2014. Later that fall, Bachelor in Paradise was launched and Harrison — along with the familiar format and exotic destination — returned with it.

You May Like

Comments

EDIT POST