About Your Privacy on this Site
Welcome! To bring you the best content on our sites and applications, Meredith partners with third party advertisers to serve digital ads, including personalized digital ads. Those advertisers use tracking technologies to collect information about your activity on our sites and applications and across the Internet and your other apps and devices.
You always have the choice to experience our sites without personalized advertising based on your web browsing activity by visiting the DAA’s Consumer Choice page, the NAI's website, and/or the EU online choices page, from each of your browsers or devices. To avoid personalized advertising based on your mobile app activity, you can install the DAA’s AppChoices app here. You can find much more information about your privacy choices in our privacy policy. Even if you choose not to have your activity tracked by third parties for advertising services, you will still see non-personalized ads on our sites and applications. By clicking continue below and using our sites or applications, you agree that we and our third party advertisers can:
  • transfer your data to the United States or other countries; and
  • process and share your data so that we and third parties may serve you with personalized ads, subject to your choices as described above and in our privacy policy.
Entertainment Weekly

Theater

London’s Old Vic Theatre investigation into Kevin Spacey finds more misconduct allegations

Joe Pugliese/CBS/Getty Images

Posted on

London’s Old Vic Theatre has released the results of its investigation into former artistic director Kevin Spacey following a number of sexual misconduct allegations against the actor.

The theater, where Spacey was artistic director from 2004-2015, says the probe resulted in “20 personal testimonies” of “alleged inappropriate behavior” carried out by the actor.

None of the people who made complaints were minors at the time the alleged incidents occurred, the Old Vic added, and the theater’s trustees were unaware of the allegations.

“This investigation concluded that there have been 20 personal allegations of incidents relating to The Old Vic ranging from 1995 to 2013, with the majority (all but two) falling before 2009,” the Old Vic’s statement said. The theater also noted that it has “not been possible to verify any of these allegations” and Spacey has not commented on them.

The investigation results said that in all but one case, those who have alleged inappropriate behavior by Spacey did not come forward at the time or asked that no formal action be taken. “During his tenure, The Old Vic was in a unique position of having a Hollywood star at the helm around whom existed a cult of personality. The investigation found that his stardom and status at The Old Vic may have prevented people, and in particular junior staff or young actors, from feeling that they could speak up or raise a hand for help,” the theater said. “The Old Vic is deeply dismayed by the allegations and thankful to all those who have contacted its helpline directly.”

The theater said that beginning Thursday it has committed to “a new Way Forward” that will “build on existing practices and procedures to ensure that the theatre fulfills its duty of care” to those who work there. Those initiatives will include appointing “guardians” to champion best practices and be a point of contact for those who don’t want to reach out through formal channels, and spending time with employees “to create an ‘OK – Not OK’ set of cultural expectations for all to understand and own, setting out in basic terms behaviors we feel comfortable with, and those with which we do not.” There will also be “refocused guidance and training, and opportunities for checks and feedback at all times.”

Last month, actor Anthony Rapp alleged Spacey had made an unwanted sexual advance toward him when he was 14 (Spacey was 26 at the time). In the weeks since, numerous others have come forward with allegations of sexual misconduct against the actor, who is “taking the time necessary to seek evaluation and treatment,” according to his representative. In the wake of those claims, Spacey was fired from Netflix’s House of Cards, which is due to end after an upcoming sixth season, and is being replaced by actor Christopher Plummer in Ridley Scott’s forthcoming film All the Money in the World.

Outbrain

Tags