MTV’s Awkward lives up to its name — and each week, EW will chronicle the comedy-drama’s most uncomfortable moments. This time, we’re looking at season 5, episode 16, also known as “Best Friends For Never,” where Jenna clashes with Tamara. Here are the five most awkward moments from this episode of Awkward in chronological order.
1. Luke wants to keep his relationship with Jenna a secret at work, something Jenna’s having trouble with, especially when Luke tells their boss the two are late because they were busy “spitballing” ideas. What, did she want to tell their boss that they were making out in the parking lot (which, also, is a terrible hiding place)? Although she initially reacts with shock at Luke’s lie, she eventually comes around to it once he clarifies that he just wants her to be taken seriously and that will be harder if everyone knows she’s sleeping with her superior.
2. A particularly perky Lizzy decides to tell Jenna exactly what she thought of her recently submitted article on social media — and to tell her right in front of the entire office. “I felt like you were trying a little too hard to sound like a sophisticated know-it-all,” Lizzy says, mortifying Jenna.
3. Matty and Lacey discover they’re about to spend eight weeks in a classroom together once they both show up to an Intro to German class. The situation would be uncomfortable even if Jenna and Matty were still together, but it’s straight-up cringeworthy now that they’ve broken up. Lacey tries to pretend that nothing happened until finally she’s forced to acknowledge the awkwardness, and the two end up having a sweet conversation about the breakup. Turns out Jenna didn’t tell her mom the full story as a way to protect Matty’s reputation, a discovery that sends Matty crushing on her once again.
4. Sadie’s trying to make Sergio jealous by bringing various “dates” to his taco truck, an embarrassing tactic that actually … works? Once Sergio sees Sadie and her new fake boyfriend, Jake, fighting, he begins reminiscing about his own spats with Sadie — and then once he sees Jake plant a kiss on her, he fondly remembers making up from said spats.
WANT MORE? Keep up with all the latest from last night’s television by subscribing to our newsletter. Head here for more details.
5. Working with your best friend can either be the best idea or the worst idea. For Jenna, it’s the worst: She gets T a gig at Ideabin, where everyone loves her and where everyone is still rejecting Jenna. Ethan adores her so much that he ends up letting her write an article, something Jenna’s been trying to do ever since she started there. Basically, T’s having the experience at Ideabin that Jenna dreaming of having herself. They end up getting in a fight about their post-college personalities and styles, but they quickly repair their friendship once T comes over begging Jenna to help her write the article: “How You Know Someone is Your BFFL.” It seems unlikely that this publication, one that rejected Jenna’s pitch about everyone thinking she tried to commit suicide because it wasn’t intense enough, would publish a puff piece like this, but, hey, at least the (very short-lived) fighting’s over.
Awkward airs Tuesdays at 10 p.m. ET on MTV.