Representatives for Harvey Weinstein have responded to recent reports that the New York Police Department has a “credible” case to arrest him.
WNBC reported Tuesday that the Manhattan district attorney was expected to approach a grand jury to seek an indictment for Weinstein, but a spokesperson for the disgraced Hollywood mogul does not believe this is accurate.
“We do not believe an indictment of Mr. Weinstein is imminent,” the spokesperson said in a statement. “A formal presentation will be made on Mr. Weinstein’s behalf in the appropriate course of the investigation, and we strongly believe we will demonstrate that no criminal charges are warranted. Blair Berk and Ben Brafman will be defending Mr. Weinstein in any matters in New York.”
According to reports, the NYPD’s potential case stems from actress Paz de la Huerta’s claims that Weinstein raped her twice in 2010. Police have reportedly been able to corroborate aspects of her story, indicating that if the allegations were recent and Weinstein was in New York, they would arrest him. However, because the allegations are seven years old and Weinstein is currently out of state in Arizona getting treatment, investigators still need to gather more evidence before seeking a warrant for his arrest.
Over the last month, the Oscar-winning producer has been accused of sexual misconduct by more than 50 women, with several of his accusers detailing their allegations in reports published in The New York Times and The New Yorker.
A spokesman for Weinstein has previously said, “Any allegations of non-consensual sex are unequivocally denied by Mr. Weinstein.”
In addition to denying any non-consensual sex, Weinstein’s spokesperson has said: “There were never any acts of retaliation against any women for refusing his advances.”