Entertainment Weekly

Subscribe

Stay Connected

Subscribe

Advertise With Us

Learn More

Skip to content

Star Wars: The Last Jedi has officially wrapped, says director Rian Johnson

Posted on

The Last Jedi is officially complete.

Director Rian Johnson announced on Instagram that post-production has wrapped on the next Star Wars movie, just three months before it’s scheduled to hit theaters.

“Aaaand that’s a wrap on the hardest working post production team in the galaxy,” Johnson wrote. “Going to miss sitting in dark rooms with these goobers.”

Filming began on the then-untitled Episode VIII back in February 2016, and the shoot wrapped in July of that year.

Daisy Ridley, Mark Hamill, John Boyega, Oscar Isaac, Adam Driver, Gwendoline Christie, Domhnall Gleeson, Andy Serkis, and the late Carrie Fisher are all returning for The Last Jedi, with Benicio Del Toro, Kelly Marie Tran, and Laura Dern joining the cast as new characters. (There are also some new creatures, too — like the extremely adorable porgs.) Johnson and co. are keeping most plot details under wraps, but we do know that The Last Jedi picks up exactly where The Force Awakens left off, with Rey coming face to face with the self-exiled Luke Skywalker.

“The very first step in the writing of this was figuring out why he’s on that island,” Johnson told EW earlier this summer. “We know that he is not a coward. He’s not just hiding because he’s scared. But we also know that he must know his friends are in danger. He must know the galaxy needs him. And he’s sitting on this island in the middle of nowhere. There had to be an answer. It had to be something where Luke Skywalker believes he’s doing the right thing — and the process of figuring out what that is and unpacking it is the journey for Rey.”

For everything else, we’ll have to wait until Star Wars: The Last Jedi hits theaters Dec. 15. Three months to go!