When Baby Driver hits theaters on June 28, it’ll be four years since the release of the last Edgar Wright movie (2013’s The World’s End). But originally, the writer-director had another film slated for release in that time period: Marvel’s Ant-Man, which Wright departed in 2014 after spending eight years developing the project. In the end, Peyton Reed signed on as director and the Paul Rudd-starring superhero flick hit theaters in 2015, but now, Wright is opening up about his departure — and revealing that he never watched the final film.
“I haven’t seen it and I haven’t even seen the trailer,” Wright told Uproxx’s Mike Ryan. “It would kind of be like asking me, ‘Do you want to watch your ex-girlfriend have sex?’ Like, ‘No, I’m good.’”
Wright added that although he has a writing credit on the final film and he’s close friends with Rudd, he has “zero regrets about not doing the movie,” and he has no desire to see the final cut.
“The closest I came to it was that somebody sitting near me on a flight was watching it,” he said. “And when I saw that the person sitting next to me was going to watch the movie, I thought, hmm, maybe I’m going to do some work on my laptop.”
In the wake of Phil Lord and Chris Miller’s departure from the young Han Solo movie, many have drawn comparisons between that film and Ant-Man, both of which are produced under the Disney umbrella. It’s rare for a director to leave a film that late in the production process — Wright had already cast Rudd, Michael Douglas, and Evangeline Lilly, while Lord and Miller were well into filming — but Wright said that when he walked away from Ant-Man, he never looked back. He also revealed that he had zero communication with Reed when he took over.
“I have not spoken to him at all,” Wright said. “I think the last communication I had with him is I said, “’Please don’t just use my storyboards,’ and then I’ve never spoken to him anymore ever since.”
Read the full Q&A at Uproxx.