More from EW
1 of 9
1. First time can be a box office charm Lethal Weapon (1987)
''Lethal Weapon was my first exposure to Mr. Black's work and I've been a fan of his writing ever since,'' says Fanboys screenwriter Ernest Cline, a self-professed Shane Black obsessive. ''If you haven't seen this action classic, Mad Max plays an ex-Special Forces L.A. cop with a death wish, and his partner, Danny Glover, is one week from retirement. Three sequels later, this idea was still selling movie tickets.''
2 of 9
2. Wolfman self-defense 101 The Monster Squad (1987)
''Shane Black collaborated with director Fred Dekker on this '80s classic about a group of horror movie loving kids who have to do battle with Dracula, the Mummy, Frankenstein's Monster, the Creature from the Black Lagoon, and the Wolfman. It's a great movie, and it's also where I learned werewolves are susceptible to more than just silver bullets. You can also bring them down with a swift kick to the nards.''
3 of 9
3. ''If it bleeds, we can kill it.'' Predator (1987)
''Shane Black has done some acting over the years, and I think his best role was in Predator as Hawkins, a wise-cracking member of Arnie's special forces unit. Spoiler alert: Like just about everyone else in this flick, Hawkins doesn't make it home.''
4 of 9
4. Joe Pesci makes any movie better Lethal Weapon 2 (1989)
''You know it's true.''
5 of 9
5. Getting stuck inside a Shane Black movie would suck Last Action Hero (1993)
''Shane Black was hired to rewrite Last Action Hero, which is a bit strange, because the original script was a blatant parody of his earlier Lethal Weapon films. So this movie is Shane Black parodying himself, and the end product is one of my guilty pleasures.''
6 of 9
6. You can kill a deer with your bare hands The Long Kiss Goodnight (1996)
''This flick is like The Bourne Identity if Jason Bourne woke up and discovered he was a suburban soccer mom. Black's original script was heavily rewritten, but the finished film is still a fun ride.''
7 of 9
7. Keep a small pistol hidden...down there Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (2005)
''You never know when it might save your life.''
8 of 9
8. Stick with what works Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
''For his first turn as director, Mr. Black took about five different film genres, put them in a blender, and created an incredibly clever, funny, tongue-in-cheek movie that is endlessly quotable.''
Looking forward to this summer, Cline says, ''Iron Man 3 will only be the second film Shane Black has directed, but he's partially responsible for revitalizing Robert Downey, Jr.'s career, and they made magic together on their first collaboration. The Iron Man 3 trailer seems to indicate they're about to do it again.''
9 of 9
9. Christmas is a great time for a gunfight Clockwise from top left: The Long Kiss Goodnight, Lethal Weapon, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, and The Last Boy Scout (1991)
''A lot of Shane Black movies seem to be set around Christmastime. 'Tis the season...for explosions!''