Hillary Clinton’s just-released campaign memoir, What Happened, tells the story of the 2016 election from her perspective — and that story wouldn’t be complete without frequent appearances by Clinton’s rival in that race, future President Donald Trump.
Below, we’ve gathered 10 of Clinton’s most notable passages about Trump in the book, from an early brush with the mogul in New York City to her analyses of his strategies and speeches during the course of his unprecedented campaign.
- In 2008, Clinton was at an event at Madame Tussaud’s in NYC, she heard Trump say to his own wax statue, “You look really great. Unbelievable. I’ve never seen anything like it. The hair is magnificent. The face is beautiful. I really think you’d make a great President. Nobody could come close.”
- “It wasn’t until I saw him dominate a debate with a crowded field of Republican candidates — not with brilliant ideas or arguments but with ugly attacks that drew gasps — that I realized he might be for real.”
- “For Trump, if everyone’s down in the mud with him, then he’s no dirtier than anyone else. I think that’s why he seems to relish humiliating people around him…As Bill likes to say, never wrestle a pig in the mud. They have cloven hooves, which gives them superior traction, and they love getting dirty.”
- “It quickly became evident that normal debate prep wouldn’t work this time….[Trump] was rarely linear in his speaking or thinking. He digressed into nonsense and then digressed even more.”
- On Trump’s inaugural speech: “I heard it as a howl from the white nationalist gut.”
- “I wonder what Lee Atwater would say about Donald Trump. Would he admire the chutzpah of a campaign that stopped blowing whistles and spoke its bigotry in plain English for all to hear?”
- On how Trump managed the press: “He understood the needs and impulses of the political press well enough that if he gave them a new rabbit every day, they’d never catch any of them.”
- On the Access Hollywood tape: “I will just note that Donald Trump is gleefully describing sexual assault.”
- After Trump suggested that some “second Amendment people” might be able to stop Hillary, she heard reports that “the Secret Service told Trump’s team to get their candidate to knock it off.”
- Clinton says she thinks about Trump bellowing “no puppet; you’re the puppet” all the time now. “When he’s yukking it up in the Oval Office with the Russian foreign minister and divulging classified information. When he’s giving the cold shoulder to…European allies. When he’s lying through his teeth about Russia or anything else.”