St. Patrick’s Day is about more than just Guinness, green clothing, and whiskey — it’s also about whiskey-spiked sweet treats. Below, Dublin-born chef and TODAY show regular Donal Skehan shares his recipe for Irish coffee cupcakes. “There’s definitely a kick,” he promises. For more fun recipes, read Skehan’s new book, Fresh: Simple, Delicious Recipes to Make You Feel Energized, out now.
Irish Whiskey Cake Batter:
2 cups self-rising flour
3/4 cup super fine sugar
1 tbsp. instant espresso powder, plus extra for dusting
1 tsp. baking powder
2 large eggs
3/4 cup butter, cubed and softened
1/4 cup milk
2 tbsp. Irish whiskey
1 tsp. vanilla extract
3/4 cup butter, softened
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tsp. instant espresso powder
1 tbsp. Irish whiskey
Chocolate-covered espresso beans
RELATED: The Best Holiday Entertainment Ever
1. Preheat the oven to 350°. Place paper baking cups in a 12-cup muffin pan and coat with cooking spray; set aside.
2. Whisk together flour and next three ingredients in a large bowl. Make a well in the center of the mixture; add eggs and remaining cake ingredients. Beat with an electric mixer at medium speed just until blended. Spoon batter evenly into muffin cups, filling two- thirds full. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until firm and light brown on top.
3. Cool in pan on wire rack 10 minutes; remove from pan, and cool completely.
4. Beat butter, sugar, espresso powder, and whiskey with an electric mixer until creamy.
5. Frost each cupcake using a mini offset spatula. Dust each cupcake with espresso powder, and top with a chocolate espresso bean.
Active time: 50 mins.
Total time: 1 hr., 30 mins.