Entertainment Weekly

Stay Connected

Subscribe

Advertise With Us

Learn More

Skip to content

Article

Melania Trump talks Donald Trump's Access Hollywood tapes

Donald Trump’s wife gives her first interviews since the ‘Access Hollywood’ scandal

Posted on

In her first interviews since 2005 video of Donald Trump making graphic comments about women was unearthed, Melania Trump blamed former Access Hollywood host Billy Bush for encouraging the GOP nominee to make the controversial remarks, and also said it was fair game for Donald to invoke Bill Clinton’s past as part of his campaign.

“As you can see from the tape, the cameras were not on — it was only a mic. And I wonder if they even knew that the mic was on,” Melania told CNN’s Anderson Cooper in an interview that will air Monday night. Melania called the conversation between Donald and Bush “boy talk” and said Donald was “egged on” by Bush “to say dirty and bad stuff.”

In the video, Donald tells Bush that he tried to “f—” former Access Hollywood cohost Nancy O’Dell, and also brags that he can grab women “by the p—y” because of his fame. He had been married to Melania for several months when the tape was recorded.

During an interview with Fox News’ Ainsley Earhardt, which will air Tuesday, Melania said Donald had apologized to her for the tape. “I accept his apology. And we are moving on,” she said, adding, “I — this is not the man that I know. This is — we could see, as I always said, as my husband said, as well, for a successful businessman, entrepreneur, entertainer to achieving so much in his life, being in so many shows, so many tapes, it’s very hard to run for public office. And he did this anyway. He said, I want to help American people. I want to keep America safe.”

After the Washington Post unearthed the 2005 video, the GOP nominee was quick to bring up sexual assault allegations against Bill Clinton, husband of Donald’s opponent, Hillary Clinton. Donald had four of the women appear with him before the second presidential debate on Oct. 9. “These four very courageous women have asked to be here, and it was our honor to help them,” he said at the time.

Asked about using those accusations as part of their campaign, Melania said, “Well, if they bring up my past, why not?” She added, “They’re asking for it. They started. They started from the — from the beginning of the campaign putting my — my picture from modeling days. That was my modeling days and I’m proud what I did. I worked very hard.”

Melania’s interview with Cooper airs at 8 p.m. ET on CNN. Her Fox & Friends interview will air on Tuesday’s show, which begins at 6 a.m. ET on Fox News.