Entertainment Weekly

Stay Connected

Subscribe

Advertise With Us

Learn More

Skip to content

Article

Sinead O'Connor: Speculation over Prince's unreleased material is 'uncouth'

‘All this public and private discussion of when his unreleased material will come out is sickening,’ she tells PEOPLE and EW in a statement

Posted on

Don Arnold/WireImage

This article originally appeared on PEOPLE.com.

Sinead O’Connor says that the discourse surrounding late singer Prince’s musical archive is inappropriate so soon after his sudden death.

“All this public and private discussion of when his unreleased material will come out is sickening. The man is barely even 10 days mourned,” O’Connor tells EW and PEOPLE in an email. “It is most uncouth.”

O’Connor said that all artists have unreleased material, and that it is a personal choice to keep it from the airwaves. “If we don’t release it that’s because we didn’t like it! We don’t want it released,” she writes. “The man was generous enough to give away for free any material he was happy to release.”

She concludes, “His musical wishes, in my opinion, ought be respected and the material cremated in respect for him.”

Prince, who died on April 21, is said to have several unreleased recordings locked away in what is called the Vault. It was reportedly drilled open by St. Cloud, Minnesota’s Bremer Bank last week.

O’Connor’s latest comments came after she made a series of controversial allegations about Prince – who composed her 1990 single “Nothing Compares 2 U” – on Facebook.

The most shocking of the claims included O’Connor’s statement that comedian Arsenio Hall supplied drugs to Prince over the years.

“Two words for the DEA investigating where prince got his drugs over the decades…. Arsenio Hall (AKA Prince’s and Eddie Murphy’s b—),” O’Connor wrote. “Anyone imagining prince was not a long time hard drug user is living in cloud cuckoo land. Arsenio I’ve reported you to the Carver County Sherrif’s office. Expect their call.”

https://www.facebook.com/

In response, Hall’s rep Traci Harper said in a statement obtained by PEOPLE that O’Connor’s claims are “absolutely false, ridiculous and absurd.”

Prince’s death is being investigated as a possible drug overdose, the Associated Press reported last week. The Drug Enforcement Administration will also help with the investigation, as the singer was found with prescription painkillers in his possession when he died.

O’Connor has not directly responded to Hall’s denial. The singer has made waves on social media before, once telling her followers that she had taken a drug overdose amid her ongoing struggle with depression. She was later located safely in Dublin, Ireland, at the time.