“We are all angry. We were p—–. It’s madness,” the actor told the U.K.’s Sunday Express of the series’ cancelation. “And season 4 was actually the one we thought we’d definitely get. Seasons 2 and 3 were on the verge. We didn’t know whether Hannibal would be renewed. But by the time we got to season 4 we thought it was a definite. We were very surprised at the decision.”
He continued, “We were happy to be able to do it for as long as we did. However, we felt there were more stories. We thought we ended the show in a great way, but we had more to tell.”
After NBC canceled Hannibal, showrunner Bryan Fuller tweeted that the producers were “investigating our options,” teasing the possibility of a return on another platform or network. There was even talk of a feature film treatment, though so far there hasn’t been any reveals of a definite return.
“He is the key, the base, the heart,” Mikkelsen said. “We will wait and see what happens next in his career. But we all know that we can easily pick this up in two or three years, there are breaks in the stories. We could pick it up, say, four years later. If Bryan is up for it, we will all go for it.”
“It’s hard to go back to TV when you’ve done something as complete as Hannibal,” he said. “It was everything I could dream of in a role. I’m going back to film until something as radical comes up, which may very well be more Hannibal.”