Entertainment Weekly

Stay Connected

Subscribe

Advertise With Us

Learn More

Skip to content

Article

Ice Cube: N.W.A won't perform at Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction

The rap group ‘didn’t feel like we were supported enough,’ he says

Posted on

Gilbert Carrasquillo/Getty Images

The surviving core members of the seminal rap group N.W.A. will be in attendance for their induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, but they won’t be rocking the mic.

In an interview with the New York Times, N.W.A member Ice Cube said the group would not perform at the Friday ceremony in Brooklyn because “we really didn’t feel like we were supported enough to do the best show we could put on.”

He added, “We wanted to do it on a whole other level, and that just couldn’t happen. But we’re totally honored, humbled and appreciative to the Hall for even just considering us, inducting us and inviting us.”

The self-proclaimed World’s Most Dangerous Group — whose main members were Ice Cube, Dr. Dre, M.C. Ren, D.J. Yella, and the late Eazy-E — are only the fifth hip-hop act to be voted into the Hall, and the first from outside New York.

N.W.A had been nominated three times before, and Ice Cube said the recent success of the biopic Straight Outta Compton finally put them “over the top.”

“The movie was able to remind them of the impact of the group on pop culture and that the music is just as much rock & roll as anything,” he said. “Rock & roll is a form of sped-up blues to me.”

A representative for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame did not immediately respond to EW’s request for comment. Read Ice Cube’s full interview in the New York Times.

The ceremony will air April 30 on HBO.