Dylan O’Brien’s Maze Runner: The Death Cure costar Giancarlo Esposito says O’Brien is continuing to recover after he was seriously injured on the film’s set last month.
“He’s healing very well,” Esposito told E! News at the premiere of his new film, The Jungle Book. “He got put together a couple of weeks ago… he’s one tough cookie.”
O’Brien was hospitalized in March after the accident, which occurred while filming the third installment in the Maze Runner franchise in Vancouver, British Columbia. Production on the film has been suspended while he recovers.
“He got his bell rung,” Esposito added. “I would imagine many who witnessed it thought that was it…[But] he’s a survivor. The one good thing about Dylan that I think is going to help him get back on schedule with us very soon is he has a great attitude.”
Esposito also told E! News production on the film is expected to resume on May 15.
Twentieth Century Fox, writer James Dasher, and Maze Runner director Wes Ball all shared statements after O’Brien was injured. Ball wrote, “I’ve been overwhelmed with feelings of anger and sadness and guilt. But, ultimately I find myself left with a deep love and respect for Dylan. He is one tough cookie. I’m sorry for the grief this accident has caused his friends and family as well as my wonderful cast and crew.”
Maze Runner: The Death Cure is scheduled for release on Feb. 17, 2017.