MTV’s Awkward lives up to its name — and each week, EW will chronicle the comedy-drama’s most uncomfortable moments. This time, we’re looking at season 5, episode 9, also known as “Say No to the Dress,” where Jenna and T try to fix a prom emergency. Here are the five most awkward moments from this episode of Awkward in chronological order.
1. Jenna and T go to the hair salon in hopes that they’ll leave with sleek hairdos to debut at that evening’s prom. Instead, they leave with curly updos that are unflattering, to say the least — and to make it all worse, the two run right into Matty and Jake after exiting the salon. Matty’s so in love with Jenna that seeing her with a comically bad hairstyle isn’t going to change his mind, but Jenna’s probably too blinded by embarrassment to realize that.
2. Sadie’s one-sided beef with her mom comes to a head when Darlene expresses her delight at being there for Sadie’s “milestone” while taking prom photos. “The first one you’ve been here for since my birth, but you didn’t really have a choice that time,” Sadie snaps. Darlene then pulls Sadie aside, where Sadie reveals that she knows what Darlene is doing — pretending to have a close relationship with her daughter in order to impress her new beau — and where Darlene doesn’t exactly deny that she’s trying to buddy up with Sadie only so that this guy will marry her. Oof.
3. Gabby and Jake are no more, but that doesn’t stop Gabby’s group of friends from pressuring him to dance with each of them at prom as Gabby looks on. Looks like Gabby needs better friends — and Jake needs better judgment.
4. Jenna has to wear a white floor-length gown because she’s on prom court and ends up getting a stunning one that doesn’t stay stunning for long: Her dad gives her red wine in a sippy cup to celebrate the evening, but he forgets to screw on the sippy cup’s top. You can guess what happens next. This sends Jenna, T, and Lacey frantically searching for a last-minute dress replacement, which T ends up acquiring in the form of a puffy wedding gown. As if that’s not bad enough, T tries to make the wedding dress seem less like a, well, wedding dress by pulling a Pretty in Pink in the bathroom and ripping it up. Maybe Jenna should have just worn pajamas?
5. Just as Jenna and T are preparing to leave prom, Adam appears and gets down on one knee in front of T. She stares in fear at him as Jenna waves her hands “no” in the background. Dude, didn’t you learn your lesson last time you proposed? But luckily, there’s no ring here and the uncomfortable moment is thankfully only a moment: He simply asks T to date him, which she, of course, agrees to. T got her happy ending; we’ll have to wait until next week to see if Jenna gets hers.
Watch Awkward Mondays at 9 p.m. ET on MTV.