Sunday night on Brooklyn Nine-Nine, all Halloween-based scores will be settled between Jake and Holt. The Nine-Nine’s returning captain (Andre Braugher) goes toe-to-scheming-toe with an old foe, Det. Jake Peralta (Andy Samberg), as the two — each brimming with the confidence of one victory in a previous year — say goodbye to professionalism in hopes of being named “an amazing detective/genius.” (Yes. Stakes = high.) “It’s the most high-octane, intricate, and mind-blowing Halloween episode yet,” Samberg declares of the third annual installment, which airs Sunday at 8:30 p.m. ET on Fox. How does it feel different than the previous two? “This one moves really fast,” he tells EW. “There are a lot of pieces. It’s relentless and snappy. This one is much more of a big squad episode, which I always love.” For those hoping to find more hints in their metaphorical bag of Halloween treats, Samberg offers up eight tasty clues.
1. “Someone in the squad is dressed as Little Bo Peep — and it’s not who you think.”
2. “Someone in the squad is dressed as Popeye — and it is who you think.”
3. “Someone will be crowned king of the precinct. Literally.”
4. “Charles tries to set Gina up with his friend Nadia. Suffice it to say she’s not interested.”
5. “Things get gross just in time for Halloween: roaches, throw-up, Charles dressed like Elvis.”
6. “Jake and Holt battle for Amy’s affection/yell at her boobs.”
7. “Hitchcock and Scully go rogue.”
8. “Jake learns a valuable lesson about garbage.”
As a bonus, check out this scene from “Halloween III” that sets up the showdown that’s about to go down.