- Aaron Eckhart has been cast in Warner Bros.’ film about Capt. Chesley “Sully” Sullenberger. Clint Eastwood is directing the pic, which stars Tom Hanks as the famous pilot behind what’s popularly known as the “Miracle on the Hudson.” The event was the 2009 emergency landing of a US Airways plane on the Hudson River after a number of geese knocked out its engines; the plane had 155 passengers aboard. Eckhart has been enlisted as Jeff Skiles, who was the first officer and co-pilot on the plane. Todd Komarnicki is writing the script, which will take inspiration from Sullenberger’s experiences and memoir. Eastwood, Tim Moore, Allyn Stewart, and Frank Marshall are producing. [THR]
- Mark Wahlberg is set for buddy cop action comedy Partners. The film will see Wahlberg’s LAPD detective character become taken with a woman after a one-night stand, only to discover that she’s an FBI agent and his boss on a major case. “The template is Mr. and Mrs. Smith, with big action set pieces,” according to Deadline. Evan Turner wrote the script, and Leverage Entertainment’s Stephen Levinson is producing. The search for a director and a female lead to star opposite the Daddy’s Home actor is reportedly in the works. [Deadline]
- iCarly alum Jennette McCurdy will star in Pet, alongside Dominic Monaghan and Ksenia Solo. Carles Torrens is directing the indie drama from a script by Jeremy Slater. The story follows animal shelter employee Seth who locks his high-school crush Holly in a cage at his place of employment when he is unable to woo her through traditional means — and as it turns out, Holly has deep secrets too. McCurdy takes the role of Holly’s supportive roommate and best friend. “When Holly is taken captive by Seth, Claire appears to her in hallucinatory form,” Variety writes. “It is only later that we realize who Claire really is in relation to Holly.” [Variety]
- John Magaro has been enlisted in Netflix’s War Machine. The black comedy from producer Brad Pitt is based on Michael Hasting’s book The Operators: The Wild and Terrifying Inside Story of America’s War in Afghanistan, and will satirize America’s military efforts there as well as the people behind them. David Michod is writing and directing. Magaro has been cast as special ops soldier Cory Burger; he’s a close adviser to General McMahon (Pitt), who represents the real-life General Stanley McChrystal. [Deadline]
- Jason Fuchs has landed a small supporting role in Damien Chazelle’s La La Land. The romantic dramedy tells the love story of a jazz pianist (Ryan Gosling) and aspiring actress (Emma Stone), and will see Fuchs as a screenwriter named Carlo who makes moves on Stone’s character. J.K. Simmons, who starred in Chazelle’s Whiplash, will also appear in La La Land. [Deadline]
WANT MORE EW? Subscribe now to keep up with the latest in movies, television and music.