ABC
Jessica Goodman
August 04, 2015 AT 03:19 PM EDT

One Direction’s “Drag Me Down,” the band’s first track without Zayn Malik, made its television debut on Tuesday morning’s edition of Good Morning America.

The band had previously performed “Drag Me Down” for the first time live on Friday, the day the song was released, at their show in Indianapolis, but this was the first time they would play for such a massive audience. Before launching into the new track, they sang the smash hit, “Story of My Life.”

In an interview before the set, Michael Strahan asked the band about Malik’s departure and One Direction’s new sound. “Obviously it’s different … but it’s still going great, and that’s what this album is about,” Liam Payne said. “I suppose it’s quite eclectic, really,” he said about the album. “We took a lot of older inspirations from older artists.”

Strahan also asked Louis Tomlinson about becoming a father. “Obviously it’s a very exciting time,” Tomlinson responded.

Fans can watch clips of the show before the whole performance becomes available online.

Related Stories

Harry Styles opens up about One Direction’s American summer tour, life without Zayn Malik and 1D’s future

One Direction drop ‘Drag Me Down,’ first song without Zayn

Zayn Malik congratulates One Direction on ’sick’ new single: ‘Proud of my boys’

You May Like

Comments

EDIT POST