As Go Set A Watchman, Harper Lee’s second novel which was released on Tuesday, tops bestseller lists and continues to make headlines, we’re beginning to see how readers—not just critics and publishing industry folks—are responding to the text. In that vein, here are Amazon’s Top Kindle Highlights for Go Set A Watchman. But readers beware: highlight No. 7 contains a spoiler.
Top 10 Most Highlighted passages from Go Set a Watchman:
1. “If you did not want much, there was plenty.”
2. “Love whom you will but marry your own kind was a dictum amounting to instinct within her.”
3. “She was almost in love with him. No, that’s impossible, she thought: either you are or you aren’t. Love’s the only thing in this world that is unequivocal. There are different kinds of love, certainly, but it’s a you-do or you-don’t proposition with them all.”
4. “For thus hath the Lord said unto me, Go, set a watchman, let him declare what he seeth.”
5. “The one human being she had ever fully and wholeheartedly trusted had failed her; the only man she had ever known to whom she could point and say with expert knowledge, “He is a gentleman, in his heart he is a gentleman,” had betrayed her, publicly, grossly, and shamelessly.”
6. “She was a person who, when confronted with an easy way out, always took the hard way.”
7. “Just about that time, Jean Louise’s brother dropped dead in his tracks one day,”
8. “Her favorite game was golf because its essential principles consisted of a stick, a small ball, and a state of mind.”
9. “Recorded history’s version does not coincide with the truth, but these are the facts, because they were passed down by word of mouth through the years, and every Maycombian knows them.
10. “Prejudice, a dirty word, and faith, a clean one, have something in common: they both begin where reason ends.”