The 2015 Emmy Awards nominations were filled with surprises both good and bad, but there’s plenty of interesting and unexpected facts about the nominations themselves that are worth exploring. EW has put together a list of some of the biggest facts and figures about this year’s nomination list. Check back later for more.
- 24. The number of nominations earned by Game of Thrones, which scored nods for outstanding drama and four acting citations, including Emilia Clarke and Lena Headey in supporting actress.
- 20. The number of nominations earned by American Horror Story: Freak Show, which grabbed Jessica Lange her seventh overall nomination.
- 11. The number of nominations House of Cards received, the most for a Netflix series this year.
- 11. The number of nominations Transparent received, the most for an Amazon original series this year.
- 126. The total number of nominations grabbed by HBO, three times the amount of ABC, which finished second with 42 nominations.
- 34. The number of total nominations scored by Netflix.
- 12. The number of total nominations scored by Amazon.
- 0. The number of new EGOT honorees. Sadly Alan Menken was not nominated for his work on Galavant’s music, preventing him from completing his EGOT. Maybe Galavant season 2 will have better luck?
- 6 seasons and an emmy? Community may have made the move to Yahoo, but the Emmy voters didn’t completely forget Dan Harmon’s comedy was still around. The show was nominated for Outstanding Stunt Coordination for a Comedy Series or a Variety Program.
- 2. Orange Is the New Black was forced into consideration as a drama this year, meaning the show has been nominated as both Outstanding Comedy Series and Outstanding Drama Series.
- 1. The Golden Globes chose to honor a few new series this year, but even some of the winners were shown no Emmy love. The Affair, which won Golden Globes, which won both for Best Drama and for Drama Actress with Ruth Wilson received zero nominations. Meanwhile Gina Rodriguez did not receive a nomination despite winning the Golden Globe for Comedy Actress. Jane was only nominated at the Emmys for Outstanding Narrator.
- 11. There are plenty of shows that had their farewell seasons and are competing for their last time. These include Mad Men, which earned 11 nominations; Boardwalk Empire with 10 nominations; Parks and Recreation, which earned 3 nominations, and Glee, which earned 1 nomination. The Late Show with David Letterman is also competing for its last time with 6 nominations
- Double dip. It’s a rarity but it happens: Sometimes the Emmys love particular names so much, they end up competing against themselves. This most notably happened in the Drama Writing category, where Matthew Weiner is nominated for two Mad Men scripts, one of which he co-wrote. And in a way, Chris Hardwick is throwing down with Chris Hardwick in the Interactive Program category, as Talking Dead and @midnight, both of which he hosts, are nominated.
- 2. Winners from the 2014 Emmys who are still on TV didn’t even receive a nomination. Julianna Marguiles, after winning last year for The Good Wife is nowhere to be found in the Best Actress, Drama category, while Jim Parsons was not nominated after winning for Best Actor in a Comedy.