The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 2 panel Thursday at Comic-Con began with cheers, banging drums, and footage of Jennifer Lawrence’s Katniss Everdeen in her red Mockingjay suit (which you can see below).
The panel was being moderated by Conan O’Brien, with Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson, Liam Hemsworth, Willow Shields, director Francis Lawrence, and producer Nina Jacobson in attendance — here are some of the highlights:
- Throughout the panel, the three leads were genuinely affectionate with and teased one another — they all joked about a “kill switch” on Jennifer Lawrence’s mic when she gets silly or babbled.
- Debut of the first full-length trailer, which is very intense and action-heavy, with explosions and arrows flying.
- “It’s tough, we all wish there were seven or eight books instead of three,” producer Nina Jacobson said of bringing the franchise to a close. “We want to deliver for the fans.”
- Director Francis Lawrence: “War is under way…this is where Katniss gets back in the action.”
- Jennifer Lawrence has trouble picking a favorite Hunger Games moment (Shields suggests “I volunteer as tribute!”), says it’s in the upcoming movie but she can’t say what it is.
- Hutcherson on Peeta: “It’s a long road to recovery. He’s trying to get himself back.”
- Gale “has been on the sidelines before,” said Hemsworth, but now he “becomes a big part as to how attack the Capitol.”
- Shields says Prim is now grown up and a stronger character and takes care of Katniss. O’Brien says he was mad at her for going back to get the cat in Mockingjay – Part 1 and suggests the hashtag #ConanCatHate.
- “We have a great scene together,” Hemsworth says about Peeta and Gale. He jokes that there might even be a kiss between the two of them.
- Jennifer Lawrence on the last day of filming: “That night we held each other and slept like puppies!”
- Hemsworth, on what he’d say if he ever met Gale: “It’s alright mate, plenty of fish in the sea.”
- How are Jennifer Lawrence’s braid skills, after playing Katniss in four films? “Terrible,” she says. “I could braid in an emergency.”
- Can they do the Mockingjay whistle? Everyone tries to do it together.
- Asked what he’ll miss most, Hutcherson says, “You’re looking at it” while looking at the cast. Hemsworth and Lawrence try to “comfort” him by touching his face:
- “Anyone who loves the end of the book will love the end of the movie,” says Francis Lawrence.
- Jennifer Lawrence, on saying goodbye to Katniss: “I’ll never really say goodbye to her. I feel like it’ll always be a part of me.”
Here’s that new teaser:
The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 2 arrives in theaters Nov. 20.
Click here for more of Entertainment Weekly‘s Comic-Con coverage