In an interview with Fox News anchor Megyn Kelly on Friday night, Jill Duggar Dillard and Jessa Duggar Seewald said they would accept whatever happened to 19 Kids & Counting in the wake of Josh Duggar’s molestation scandal.
“You know, we’ve always just had the mindset of, ‘This show is just a window of opportunity that God’s allowed our family to be on television and to share [our lives] with other people,” Duggar Dillard said.
“Life goes on, really,” added Duggar Seewald. “We’re not a TV family, we’re a family who just happened to be on TV.”
Last month, it was revealed that Josh Duggar had admitted to fondling five underage girls — including four of his sisters — when he was a teenager.
“Twelve years ago, as a young teenager, I acted inexcusably for which I am extremely sorry and deeply regret. I hurt others, including my family and close friends,” Josh, now 27, said in a statement. “I confessed this to my parents who took several steps to help me address the situation. We spoke with the authorities where I confessed my wrongdoing, and my parents arranged for me and those affected by my actions to receive counseling. I understood that if I continued down this wrong road that I would end up ruining my life.”
In the wake of the scandal, TLC pulled all episodes of 19 Kids & Counting from the air, but has not yet canceled the popular series.
“We are deeply saddened and troubled by this heartbreaking situation, and our thoughts and prayers are with the family and victims at this difficult time,” a representative for the network said in a statement.
“It’s not always been easy on television, and yet we’ve still allowed the filming to take place and allowed people to see our struggles,” Duggar Dillard said. “This is another struggle that we’re going through right now. Another hard time. But I think it’s bringing our family even closer together. We’ll make it through this too.”
Watch a portion of Kelly’s interview with the Duggar sisters below. More on their Friday night interview can be found here.