Entertainment Weekly

Subscribe

Stay Connected

Subscribe

Advertise With Us

Learn More

Skip to content

Article

Steve Aoki sued by fan who claims DJ broke her neck crowd-surfing

Posted on

Debra L Rothenberg/FilmMagic

First, Miguel was sued for an ill-advised mid-show jump. Now, it’s Steve Aoki. The DJ, along with the Hard Rock Hotel in San Diego, was the subject of a lawsuit that’s now heading to court, according to San Diego Super Court records.

Plaintiff Brittany Hickman initially filed the motion in August 2013 regarding a May 2012 concert. During the show, Aoki jumped into the crowd onto a pool raft to crowd surf. Hickman claims the incident broke her neck and her ankle. “I was trapped underneath the pool raft because they threw it out right where I was standing. My friends told me he landed on top of the pool raft, hit me on top of the head and I got knocked over,” she told 10News“Your life can be changed so much for someone’s reckless actions,” she added.

When asked for comment, the musician’s representatives sent a statement on behalf of Aoki to EW: “I would never want anyone to get hurt at any of my shows and feel badly that someone has, but at this time I have been advised by my attorneys to not speak about this as it’s going to trial. Thank you for your understanding.”

Previously, Aoki’s lawyer had sent a statement to 10News, an excerpt of which is below:

This matter arises out of an incident which occurred at the Hard Rock Hotel in San Diego, three years ago. In addition to Mr. Aoki, Ms. Hickman is also suing Hard Rock. Trial in this matter is scheduled for August 28, 2015 before Judge Pressman of the San Diego Superior Court. Because of the ongoing litigation and the pending trial date it would not be appropriate for us to respond to your inquiry at this time or permit an interview.

Aoki canceled a handful of concerts last week, as the 37-year-old was forced to undergo vocal cord surgery.